14 replies to this topic

#1 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

What are people looking forward to in 2013?  I'm a little underwhelmed by what is on offer.  This time last year I was particularly excited by the prospect of SRB in Timon, the Complicité Master and Margarita and the Cheek by Jowl Tis Pity, all of which were fantastic.  There is nothing that whets my appetite so much this year:  Cheek by Jowl's Ubu Roi will probably be more duty than pleasure; SRB is unemployed come March.  The Donmar and the Almeida have rather dull programmes.  The Michael Grandage is too safe and starry.  Which leaves...?

I am excited by the prospect of Adrian Lester's Othello, hope that Antony Sher's Köpenick and the Howard Davies/Upton/Gorki Children of the Sun will be good and there's a new Bruce Norris at the Royal Court.  And I wonder what the Bristol Shakespeare at the Tobacco Factory make of Two Gentlemen of Verona, which is getting a rare outing.  I suppose there is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but can it possibly be as good as Matilda?

Perhaps I'm getting jaded.

#2 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

Nice list. I've got loads booked, all the stuff you mention that is safe and starry! I too am looking forward to the Othello. There is an RSC Hamlet, the second coming of The Weir - will it hold up to scrutiny? - Viv and whatsit at Hampstead with three cracking ladies in it.

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

You could be just a teeny bit excited at the prospect of what we don't yet know the details of:

The Shed at the NT from April

the new brooms programming the Royal Court from May

innovative artistic responses to step-cuts in funding

#4 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

'Of things I've booked for 2013, I'm particularly looking forward to -

'Playing Cards I - Spades' (Lepage at the Roundhouse)
'Port' (NT)
'Once' (Phoenix)
'The Salon Project' (Barbican)
'Above the Wide Blue Sky' (Fevered Sleep at the Young Vic)
'In the Beginning was the 'End' (dreamthinkspeak at Somerset House)

I hope to be pleasantly surprised by -
'Trelawney of the Wells' (Donmar)
'Ubu Roi' (Cheek by Jowl - Barbican)
'No Quarter' (Royal Court)

Just glad to see it at last, not bothered about what it's like -
'Quasimodo' (Lionel Bart premiere at the King's Head)

#5 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

After seeing The Tempest at the RSC, Hamlet is the production I am looking forward to. Jonathan Slinger and David Farr are the perfect combination.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#6 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:29 AM

My usual favourites are coming up trumps so far:  everything in the new Orange Tree season looks really interesting, as does much at the Finborough.  Patchier at the Royal Court and Almeida but still several at both that I've booked for; ditto the NT.  Add the Bush, the Rose, Richmond Theatre itself for the more traditional, touring stuff and 2013 is already filling up for me.

#7 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Looking forward to Season in the Congo, in July (!!!) at the Young Vic, also Peter and Alice because I've never seen Judi Dench on stage and I'm hoping I will get why she is so acclaimed. National Theatre's first four months don't really excite me but hoping This House transfers well and Kopernick gives Sher a better role than Travelling Light. Hampstead looks pretty disappointing. Not sure I will be going there much

I'm hoping to see more fringe stuff next year and go to spaces like the Gate and Finborough more.

#8 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

"Hampstead looks pretty disappointing"

DI AND VIV AND ROSE was a major highlight of 2011 for me. That is most definitely worth seeing, even without Nicola Walker.

#9 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Although Ive the grandage season booked I'm most looking forward to musicals next year, A Chorus line, Book of Morman and Charlie and the chocolate factory.

#10 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Just looking at my diary, I have 25 things booked next year (excluding local touring stuff). This time last year, I only had 4 or 5 things booked for 2012, so I think that's an indication of the exciting stuff which'll be on.

What am I most looking forward to? The Grandage Season, obviously, also The Audience, Passion Play and the McAvoy Macbeth. Subsidised theatre-wise, Chimerica at the Almeida and Di and Viv and Rose at the Hampstead excite me, as does the Old Vic season (which I've yet to book for) and the Lester/Kinnear Othello.

I've got 2 musicals booked (Mormon and Charlie), which is more than I usually would have! The rumoured Pajama Game at Chichester sounds great, as does The Light Princess (the Tori Amos musical) which should be at the Lyttelton later next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users