• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 BahHumbug

BahHumbug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

I work for the UK's leading programme publisher. People complaining about the number of advertisements maybe don't realise that most theatres wouldn't be able to afford to order programmes without the subsidy they receive due to our ads sales. Without this, audience members would be paying considerably more for their programmes than at present.

#32 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

i don't think  anyone is complaining about ads per se - it's about entire advertising sections being stuffed into programmes as with the current Cameron Mackintosh 13 page inserts plugging the Les Mis movie.  There are limits, especially when charging 4 pounds or more.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#33 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

I went to the Almeida Theatre for the first time last night and was impressed that in addition to offering a full programme for sale, there were also free one-page cast lists available. Even though I'm a programme collector, it reminded me of this thread and I thought it was great for the audience to have the option.
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#34 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

It's adverts in souvenir brochures I don't like.  They aren't cheap and not such great 'souvenirs' when half of the content is ads.

#35 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostBahHumbug, on 13 February 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

I work for the UK's leading programme publisher. People complaining about the number of advertisements maybe don't realise that most theatres wouldn't be able to afford to order programmes without the subsidy they receive due to our ads sales. Without this, audience members would be paying considerably more for their programmes than at present.

So, interesting we have lured you out of your lair. Not being nasty but nice to hear from someone in the industry. If the ads are a must and seemingly forthcoming, can we have more other stuff too?

#36 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

View Postmallardo, on 13 February 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

i don't think  anyone is complaining about ads per se - it's about entire advertising sections being stuffed into programmes as with the current Cameron Mackintosh 13 page inserts plugging the Les Mis movie.  There are limits, especially when charging 4 pounds or more.

And that the same theatre editorial content is used in every Delfont Mack programme, so if you go fairly regularly, as I do, you end up having half the programme duplicated from your last visit- the 14 page Les Mis feature (which nearly outweighs the actual production content) is in both my Privates on Parade and Quartermaine's Terms programmes.

#37 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

i dont think programmes are a rip off on the whole except the wicked and billy elliot style ones that cost almost as much (or sometimes the same) as a brochure but dont deliver on the content.

i love brochures but as has been said i do object to them being full of adverts as they are more expensive and are meant to be a souvenir of the show

#38 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostTitan, on 13 February 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

i dont think programmes are a rip off on the whole except the wicked and billy elliot style ones that cost almost as much (or sometimes the same) as a brochure but dont deliver on the content.

i love brochures but as has been said i do object to them being full of adverts as they are more expensive and are meant to be a souvenir of the show

Surely it's programmes that have adverts and souvenir brochures that tend not to...????
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#39 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

5 £ for the Trafalgar Macbeth programme- seriously?!
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#40 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

No some brochures do have adverts in which is why it bugs me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users