75 replies to this topic

#21 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

It seems a long time ago now but I've remembered that the real highlight for me was the Globe to Globe stuff at, well, the Globe. It wasn't all great but I definitely preferred the Afghan Comedy of Errors to the NT's most recent one and the Chinese Richard III to Mark Rylance's.

#22 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

I always love this thread as it reminds me of all the fantastic theatre I have seen throughout the year!

2013 has been a special year for me, so much lovely theatre going and often I smile at the thought of who I have seen various plays with, partilcularly Beth and Peggs!

So highlights....
Two fantastic Julius Caesars...Donmar and RSC, touring to Aylesbury. Who would have thought I would end up loving this play so much?

Good year for Shakepeare generally as I also loved Richard II at Donmar and SRB as Timon at the National. Plus excellent and thrilling Taming of the Shrew at RSC Statford and loved Globe touring Hamlet and Henry V, both at Oxford.
Disappointed by Rylance is both his efforts - I expected brilliance and got just ok. Preferred his Richard III of the two.

Special times for me, watching The River (Royal Court) and then a few days later All That Fall (Jermyn Street) - both front row.

And play reading of Look Back in Anger by Benedict Cumberbatch, Rebecca Hall, Anna Maxwell Martin et al  followed by evening perfromance of Posh with day seats.

Plus a crowd of us all seeing This House at the National, followed a week later by special meet up for This Effect, again the National

And A level results day for daughter, taking whole family down to see Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and seeing family transformed by the joy of theatre.

And Matilda with work people, all joyous and me being charmed by the adaptation.

Oh dear, I have too many highlights don't I!

Also DruidMurphy marathon that was just perfect in Oxford  and the madness that was The Physicists at the Donmar with someone to raise eyebrows at next to me!

Plus Misterman, an afternoon of cocktails, followed by Detroit - I love a good drama with everything going pear shaped!

And Last of the Haussmans, because it reminded me rather a lot of my mother-in-law!

The Changeling (young Vic), as I love how mad this play is, Tis Pity She's a Whore (Oxford Playhouse) as it was just like a gorgeous painting and Great Expectations(Aylesbury) as it exceeded expectations!

Special menations too to Top Girls (Oxford Playhouse), Absent Friends( Kara Tointon and the rest so well cast and so funny) and Torch Sing Trilogy (Menier)

A small list of disppointments....Volcano (so miscast and dull), Steptoe and Son (what were they thinking?) and Neighbourhood Watch (Ayckbourne has lost the funny stuff).

Some just ok, probably due to high expectations - 55 days, Hedda at Old Vic, Long Days Journey into the Night, Uncle Vanya (print Room), London Road, She Stoops to Conquer, Collaborators, The Recruiting Officer. Sometimes a play is just not my sort of thing and I find it quite hard to put my finger on why! These were all fine, some more than fine, but if I hadn't seen them I wouldn't have felt too bad! So just not stand out for me!

So top play.....two winners -  Boys (Soho theatre). Simply superb. Loved it! And Master and Margarita...can't remember if I saw it  end of last year or beginning of this but am going again after Christmas so will include it anyway! Stunning and made me go and read the book.

#23 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Highlights
(in rough order of my favourites, although this is hard to do and not exact)

55 Days
Hamlet (Young Vic)
Misterman

Julius Caesar
The Recruiting Officer
Antigone
Matilda

Timon of Athens
Our Boys
Posh

Richard II (Donmar)
Look Back in Anger (play reading)
All That Fall

Special mention
QI taping
Olympics! (fencing & hockey for me)

Nice night out, perfectly solid

The Importance of Being Earnest (Royal Haymarket)
Making Noise Quietly
Hay Fever
Kiss Me Kate
Sweeney Todd
The Mousetrap

Decent but a bit of a disappointment (usually due to overly high expectations)

Twelfth Night (Apollo transfer from Globe)
Richard III (Globe)
The Duchess of Malfi

Lowlights
[I should be fair here - none of these were horrible plays, in fact I think they may have appealed to lots of other people. I was lucky enough not to encounter any real duds. But I found these to be either too gory and bizarre (Changeling) or too boring/slow (the other two) for my personal taste.]

The Changeling
Bingo
Absent Friends

#24 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostLatecomer, on 21 December 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

A small list of disppointments....Volcano (so miscast and dull), Steptoe and Son (what were they thinking?) and Neighbourhood Watch (Ayckbourne has lost the funny stuff).

Oh no, just booked for that at the Lyric as my birthday treat - is it terrible?? Kneehigh are very hit and miss.

My thumbs up for 2012:

Timon
Tis Pity
RIII (RSC)
Collaborators
Midsummer Night's Dream (Regent's Park)
Tempest (RSC)
This House

And thumbs down:

Travelling Light
Three Sisters (Young Vic) - perhaps I'm just too old...!

And two I would probably have loved if not for the appalling audiences:

55 Days
Red Velvet

Now especially looking forward to Master and Margarita, Julius at the Donmar and Privates on Parade!

#25 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

Off the top of my head some of the shows that opened in 2012 that I remember enjoying the most are:

Love Love Love (Royal Court)
The Recruiting Officer (Donmar)
Curious Incident (NT)
Chariots Of Fire (Hampstead)
The Ladykillers (Gielgud)
Abigail's Party (Chocolate Factory)
Pippin (Chocolate Factory)
The River (Royal Court)
Loserville (Garrick)
Noises Off (Old Vic)
London Road (NT)
Posh (Royal Court)
Cinderella (Lyric Hammersmith)
Constellations (Royal Court)
The Witness (Royal Court)
Twelfth Night (The Globe)
The Boy With Tape On His Face (Duchess)

And some of the shows I remember disliking or being disappointed by.....

Damned By Despair (NT)
Viva Forever (Piccadilly)
American Idiot (Apollo Hammersmith)

#26 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostAbby, on 22 December 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

Oh no, just booked for that at the Lyric as my birthday treat - is it terrible?? Kneehigh are very hit and miss.

It just seemed very uncertain what is was trying to do exactly - would have liked them to take more risks really. My review is here from Oxford dates...no spoliers! The set is pretty!
http://www.thepublic...ford-playhouse/

#27 Ruperto

Ruperto

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

I've been following this discussion board for ages and think it's fab, so I thought I should come out from the wings and say hello, and also share my 10 personal highlights of 2012 (in no particular order).

* Big and Small (Barbican) - this seemed to be a real Marmite one, but was the play I enjoyed most this year. For me, Cate Blanchett's performance in this goes down with Mark Rylance in Jerusalem as the best I've ever seen on stage.

* Collaborators (Cottesloe) - great writing, really fun and full-blooded staging, and SRB was fab

* The Changeling (Young Vic Maria) - managed to nab one of the wheelchairs to sit in. Loads of fun, and Jessica Raine very swoonsome...

* Love Love Love (Royal Court) - Absolutely loved everything about this. Victoria Hamilton peerless

* The Physicists (Donmar Warehouse) - A weird one, this, but full of images I can't shake out of my head - John Heffernan's sun cream freak-out, the sons in lederhosen, Sophie Thompson's hunchback...

* Three Sisters (Young Vic) - Was really moved by this, and loved the staging - the rendition of Smells like Teen Spirit, the spinning top etc. Loved them all but Mariah Gale a wonder, Danny Kirrane amazing...

* All That Fall (Jermyn Street) - Was exhilarating to be this close to Michael Gambon and Eileen Atkins at the top of their games

* The Last of the Haussmans (Lyttelton) - Underrated, I thought - all cast great, I laughed loads, stunning set

* The Promise (Trafalgar Studios 2) - a really sweet little three-hander. Romanic and moving. I love this tiny little space!

* After Miss Julie (Young Vic Maria) - Intimate, powerful, three brilliant performances

Others I saw this year were Richard II (Donmar), One Man, Two Guvnors, Sex With a Stranger and the Leisure Society (both Trafalgar Studios 2), The Duchess of Malfi (Old Vic), Antigone and Timon of Athens (Olivier), Children's Children and King Lear (Almeida), The Curious Incident... and The Effect (Cottesloe), Mademoiselle Julie (Barbican), Scenes from an Execution (Lyttelton), Hero (Royal Court Upstairs). One left to see before the end of the year: Hansel and Gretel with my two kids...

#28 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Welcome Ruperto! B)

#29 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

ahh Latecomer I was going to put meeting lovely forum people and then wondered if that would be a bit too much but since you've already put it, i was more than happy to exchange raised eyebrows with you during the year!

Highlights
Henry V The Globe, the night after the olympic opening ceremony we were all feeling very patriotic and it went down a storm
Julius Caesar at the Donmar
Duchess of Malfi - so much better than staying at home and moving house like i was meant to be doing
The curious incident of the dog in the night - NT live - very,very cool even on screen
Hedda Gabler - old vic - my classic miserable theatre
the river and all that fall - waching the plays was almost as exciting as the moments i found out Latecomer and i had tickets!
This House
The Effect
there are probably more i have forgotten

i was disappointed by twelfth night at the globe and felt last of the haussmans was rather thin although superb performances from Rory Kinnear and Helen Mcrory.

All in all it's been a great year for theatre and made 10 times better but having new and not so new friends to go with.

#30 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

ps hello Ruperto as well, you must join in the forum spotting at the theatre, it's better than celeb spotting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users