75 replies to this topic

#61 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Thanks Lynette, would you still be available if Hugh's tied up too?
www.frontrowdress.com

#62 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yep.

#63 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostFront Row Dress, on 01 January 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Thanks Lynette, would you still be available if Hugh's tied up too?

Promises, promises! ;)

#64 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Highlight -

The Opening Ceremony was the best thing I saw all year - so lucky to get tickets!

Best -
I thought this was a great year for actresses with great performances from Tyne Daley (Masterclass), Laurie Metcalf (Long Days Journey), Cate Blanchet (Gross Und Klein), Emi Wokoma (Soul Sister), Sheridan Smith (Hedda Gabler) & Eileen Aitkins (All That Fall). Not all the plays were as good as the performance but they were all among the best things I saw this year. That doesn't even include The Young Vic's A Dolls House which I missed but thankfully we'll be seeing this year. Other than those - This House & Timon were both very strong after a poor year for the National (Antigone excepted), Noises Off was a great night out and I loved The Browning Version/South Downs & Henry V (Globe)

Middling -

Pretty much everything the National & The Donmar put on - hardly anything they did really came to life. Last Of The Hausmanns & People were disappointing given the talent involved - not bad but just inessential. Twelth Night at the Globe was like that - yes Rylance was great but apart from him and Maria it wasn't particularly funny and Johhny Flynn did the impossible and made Rebecca Hall look like a good Viola.

Poor - Lindsey Duncan is a great actress but was miscast in Hay Fever and brought the whole thing down. Travelling Light wouldn't have been great anyway but Sher was terrible. What The Butler Saw was badly done and way too manic. Old Money was a pointless waste of 90 minutes.

Oh and this seemed like the year of the naked or nearly naked man - What The Butler Saw, Relatively Speaking, People, All New People, Making Noise Quietly, The Last Of The Hausmanns, Privates On Parade and particularly The Judas Kiss all had a lot on display. Though nothing beats my mates very audible - Oh My God when the boy in tight trunks appeared in The Last Of The Hausmanns - which given we were in the front row about a metre away from the actor in question was somewhat understandable!

#65 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Until you mentioned it there I'd totally forgotten I'd seen All New People in 2012 - I guess that will have to act as my lowlight for the year then.
Which way did he go McGill?

#66 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

In a similar vein to Front Row Dress' blog awards, I've got my own which I am, at this very moment, just completing. Most categories are up, so do, please, take a look:

http://gapyeartheatre.blogspot.co.uk/

My new year's resolution is to review everything I see.... let's see how long I keep that one up!

Happy New Year all, and here's to a great 2013 of theatregoing!

#67 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I'm not one for focusing on the negatives, so I'll make a brief top three of 2012 (in no particular order), a year in which theatre took second place to sport much of the time:
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (Adelphi)
- The River (Royal Court Upstairs)
- Merrily We Roll Along (Menier Chocolate Factory)

Another theatrical highlight was my first trip to New York and finally catching two shows on Broadway, Anything Goes and Memphis (although I may have a Broadway curse as both closed shortly afterward..).
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#68 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

View PostDavid J, on 29 December 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

Gregory Doran does seem to work well with actors. I was listening to the documentary on the Julius Caesar DVD and it seems he tells each actor why he chose them to play the role ....

Did he start "Because you're black and ...." each time ? That production was almost mediocre by the time it reached London, bloated with an interval and apparently 15 minutes or more of cuts restored and in a rotten and expensive West End theatre. Hard to say what the best Shakespeare of a thin year was, probably the Lucy Bailey "Taming of the Shrew".

#69 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

When did I ever say anything about the cast being black? The whole change of setting felt natural to the point where one might think that Shakespeare had set the play in Africa the whole time.

What is more I have seen lately in productions like Julius Caesar, The Orphan of Zhao and Cardenio, that Doran seems to get the best out of his actors. In Julius Caesar, Paterson Joseph showed an endearing yet flawed Brutus. Ray Fearon would have to be my favorite supporting actor in a play this year, because of his raw "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" speech. Maybe I saw a different, unedited version in the RST.

On another note a lot of the 2012 RSC productions were certainly unremarkable this year. However I would pick David Farr's The Tempest as my favorite Shakespeare production of the year. He used his somber style to create a eerily beautiful production and the cast for the most part was strong, especially with Jonathan Slinger's dark yet humble Prospero. I really think that he and David Farr works well together, which is why I am looking forward to seeing Hamlet next year.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#70 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostDavid J, on 03 January 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

which is why I am looking forward to seeing Hamlet next year.
*this* year! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users