#71 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostDavid J, on 03 January 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

When did I ever say anything about the cast being black?

You didn't, it just amused me that Doran was apparently explaining to the cast why he chose them when the obvious answer was that he wrote down the names of the handful of black actors who have been given enough experience by the RSC (and others) to play major Shakespearean roles, found out which of them were availble, and then divvied up the available parts between them.

#72 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 03 January 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

Did he start "Because you're black and ...." each time ? That production was almost mediocre by the time it reached London, bloated with an interval and apparently 15 minutes or more of cuts restored and in a rotten and expensive West End theatre. Hard to say what the best Shakespeare of a thin year was, probably the Lucy Bailey "Taming of the Shrew".

I had a fantastic year for Shakespeare but none of my favourite productions were performed in English so not many people here saw them. All's Well that Ends Well in Gujerati and Comedy of Errors in Pushtu were particular highlights (both better than the recent NT productions)

#73 Seymour Krellbourne

Seymour Krellbourne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Highlights of 2012
Anthony Rapp - Without You (Menier Chocolate Factory - emotional and touching...if the tiniest bit self indulgent. In his defence, I think any show based on the performer's autobiography makes it hard to avoid self-indulgence entirely. But still, I loved it!)
Avenue Q (UK Tour)
The Ladykillers (UK tour)

Lowlights of 2012
Great Exceptions (UK tour - slow, emotionless adaptation with a terribly over-dramatic Miss Havisham)
Calendar Girls (UK Tour - went because it was cheap.  Wish I hadn't bothered)

Looking forward to in 2013
Chorus Line revival
Slava's Snowshow
Rocky Horror (my first time seeing on stage!!!)
Priscilla Queen of the Desert (UK Tour)
Ghost (UK tour)

Always Eponine, never Cosette

#74 Seymour Krellbourne

Seymour Krellbourne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

And obviously, I meant Great Expectations not Great Exceptions (The perils of iPad autocorrect!)
Always Eponine, never Cosette

#75 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Highlights definitely the Shakespeare season and I thought Chichester had an excellent festival. And going against the grain I really liked Collaborators at the National. Loved SRB's Stalin a lot, play was well thought out and, well I laughed loads.

#76 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

2012 was a fantastic year of theatre with only a couple of disappointments and one interval walkout I'm ashamed to say...

Musical Highlights

My Fair Lady (Crucible Theatre, Sheffield)
Matilda The Musical (Cambridge Theatre)
9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour)
Sweeney Todd (Adelphi Theatre)

Play Highlights

Hay Fever (Noel CowardTheatre)
Long Day's Journey Into Night (Apollo Theatre)
Abigail's Party (Wyndham's Theatre)
Jumpy (Duke of York's Theatre)
Noises Off (Novello Theatre)

Disappointments

All New People (Duke of York's Theatre)
What the Butler Saw (Vaudeville Theatre)
Steel Magnolias (UK Tour)
Written On The Heart (Dutchess Theatre) - This is the interval walkout! What an absolute pile of s**t!

Most looking forward to in 2013

The Book of Mormon
A Chorus Line
Once
The Audience
Michael Grandage Season
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users