58 replies to this topic

#1 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

I saw the 2nd preview of 'My Fair Lady' last night. I've never seen the film but naturally I've heard the iconic songs such as "Wouldn't It Be Loverly?" And "I Could Have Danced All Night".

First impressions? Set looks simple, vast open stage! As soon as we started taking our seats, the cast came out to the "market place" which was great! And the highs continued from there! Carly Bawden as Eliza Doolittle is OUTSTANDING! Truly a star in the making! Surprised by Dominic West as Henry Higgins who was also excellent! There really wasn't a weak link in the cast!

The set was on a revolve and when it reveals Higgins' home was quite a wow moment! I thought Alistair David's choreography was great!

I have never seen any other production of this classic musical but I'm sure it would stand up there with the best of them! I'm already planning my second trip to this great venue! And if there is any justice in the world, this production will be seen in London or on tour! Well worth the trip to Sheffield and at 17 a ticket for preview's, 5 stars!!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#2 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

To be fair, you'd have to be really inept to make a mess of MFL.
Which way did he go McGill?

#3 ptwest

ptwest

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Really pleased this is looking good - very much looking forward to going after Christmas.

#4 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Seeing this on Monday - If it's anywhere near as good as Company was last year, I can't wait!
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#5 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

I've seen some fantastic musicals produced by Sheffield Theatre's over the years! Highlights include 'A Chorus Line', 'Sweet Charity', 'Promises, Promises', 'Fiddler on the Roof' (which transferred to the West End - Savoy Theatre) and 'Guys and Dolls'... This production was certainly up there with the best of them!!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#6 rodney72a

rodney72a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

It's about time you watch the film as well!

#7 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Yer it was a long running time! Its billed as 2 hours 55 minutes including a 20 minute interval but I imagine being only the second preview, it didn't finish till 22:45! I'm sure it'll tighten up!

#8 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

Just back from this evening's performance of My Fair Lady and I thought it was excellent. So lovely to be home for Christmas and be able to take my parents to such a fantastic production. I thought everyone in it was very good but Carly Bawden was fabulous and I loved Dominic West and Anthony Calf too. I also thought the set was lovely and worked very well in moving from one setting to the next. Throw in so many classic tunes and this was a superb night out.

Definitely go to Sheffield to see it if you can before the end of January!

#9 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3751 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

It's sold out. Hopefully this bodes well for a transfer.

#10 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

I don't think it can transfer, with this cast anyway as Dominic I think has a full schedule for 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users