#21 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 31 December 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

It would cost a fortune to redesign the show to sit in a west end theatre and they won't spend that.

I've not seen it and I'm sure it's great, but the brilliant National Theatre version is still pretty fresh in people's minds.

If you haven't seen the production, how do you know what it would cost to re-design? It's a very simple design with the majority of the set on a small revolve and the rest of the stage open and items such as chairs brought on by the actors. It's certainly not a complex set design. The exits/entrances and staging would need re-gigging but certainly nothing too difficult.

I saw this in its previews and we both loved it! We wanted to return to Sheffield to see it once again thinking it wouldn't transfer but it sold out :( so I'm really hopeful of a transfer with or without Mr West!! I think the Gielgud theatre would be a great venue as the show isn't that big and could come in after The Audience finishes in June. But anything is possible in the world of Theatre!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#22 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3374 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Billy Elliot is booking regional venues so closure is strong possibility. plus there have been loads of discounts in last four months or so

#23 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostTitan, on 04 January 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

Billy Elliot is booking regional venues so closure is strong possibility. plus there have been loads of discounts in last four months or so

When they had that early booking offer for it where they offer top price tickets for £20, £30 and £40 Monday-Saturday, it's not a good sign as I imagine it's not cheap to run. Wonder when they'll announce it.

#24 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

The National production was in 2001, so I think 12 years on it's not too fresh in the public's mind!

#25 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

Chichester festivals private lives goes into the Gielgud after The Audience

#26 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

Billy Elliot is contracting new cast members for 3 months only, so it is definitely on the way out.

#27 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

View Posttheatreliker, on 04 January 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

I'd be surprised if Let It Be lasts until then. So The River can't still be fitted in? Wanted to see it. Also doesn't look like the Royal Court have released the script in their shop.

Sadly, I suspect Let It Be might last out the year.

They definitely did release the script - though I guess it's very possible it sold well and they were waiting for a restock when you went.

View PostFireFingers, on 05 January 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

Billy Elliot is contracting new cast members for 3 months only, so it is definitely on the way out.

I'll consider that as a closure notice then. I doubt the Victoria station rebuild works has exactly helped them, however it definitely has been on the way out for a long while.

#28 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

BUT, and I think it is a strong possibility, *IF* Billy Elliot closes then I think the VicPalace will too, whilst the stage is demolished and rebuilt. The development behind and alongside is in full swing, they have planning permission, listed building consent, and it is very much now or never.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#29 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Great article. Interesting swearing – I’m guessing the PR department of Sheffield Theatres didn’t read it first!
Nothing confirmed but a London transfer with Carly Bawden looks promising
http://www.guardian....cible-backstage

and now for some rather good pictures
http://www.guardian....kstage-pictures

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#30 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

Yesterday evening was a Q&A after the performance of My Fair Lady. Of course the question was asked if it will transfer to London. Answer: they are still working hard on it to bring it to London as an Original Crucible production, if possible with all the same cast members.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users