58 replies to this topic

#51 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

The trouble is they can't transfer it to London because of the rights; Cameron Mackintosh owns the London rights to My Fair Lady, so no matter where it goes within the M25, he has to agree even if it's not one of his theatres or someone else is producing it. This is how I understand it, anyway.

#52 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

The rights business is a very strange thing. If this is really the case then I don't see a transfer I am afraid.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#53 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3337 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I doubt that will happen, from what I have been told, although Cameron likes the production he doesnt want it in London.

#54 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 27 January 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

The trouble is they can't transfer it to London because of the rights; Cameron Mackintosh owns the London rights to My Fair Lady, so no matter where it goes within the M25, he has to agree even if it's not one of his theatres or someone else is producing it. This is how I understand it, anyway.
He doesn't own the rights
He's just almighty powerful with a cheque book

#55 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

*IF* CamMack does own the rights (and it is certainly a possibility) then from a business point of view it is entirely understandable that he would NOT want such an acclaimed show in town. What most of you are forgetting is that theatre is a business, CamMack has a production and it would be to his financial detriment not to protect that production ("Oliver" from a few years back is about to embark on another tour). If Sheffield were perhaps looking for a transfer and were more business savvy they could have chosen a musical that was possible to transfer and applied the same excellence to the production.

I also can't see the thrust staging of the Crucible adapting to the relatively small Pros Arch of the Pinter Theatre at all well, althought I did not see the Sheffield production. For what it is worth, though I have raved about the production, I can't see the rumoured contender "Merrily" lasting long there either.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#56 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3392 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Oliver? its only just finishing a tour

#57 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostIan, on 29 January 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

*IF* CamMack does own the rights (and it is certainly a possibility) then from a business point of view it is entirely understandable that he would NOT want such an acclaimed show in town. What most of you are forgetting is that theatre is a business, CamMack has a production and it would be to his financial detriment not to protect that production ("Oliver" from a few years back is about to embark on another tour). If Sheffield were perhaps looking for a transfer and were more business savvy they could have chosen a musical that was possible to transfer and applied the same excellence to the production.

I also can't see the thrust staging of the Crucible adapting to the relatively small Pros Arch of the Pinter Theatre at all well, althought I did not see the Sheffield production. For what it is worth, though I have raved about the production, I can't see the rumoured contender "Merrily" lasting long there either.

How much more money does Cameron need?
Why doesn't he get out there and produce a NEW musical
Oh of course he has tried....just not had a success for twenty years

#58 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3337 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostIan, on 29 January 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

I think you'll find Merrily is more than a rumour. If it does get its intended transfer, it will get a short run. I don't think anyone sees a transfer of that will be celebrating itself at the 02 in 25 years time!!

#59 humbug83

humbug83

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

Is there any more news about this production transferring to London? There were lots of rumours about it last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users