#11 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

View Postxanderl, on 29 December 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

No, that wasn't me but I was sitting close to him and his delightful lady friend (who was clutching a roll- up fag throughout the first act ready for easy access in the interval)

His parting shot before marching across the stage was "if I don't get out soon I'm going to f***ing p*ss myself"

I was on the same row as the other more mature first-half walk-out - he was far more sophisticated, he just stood up and said "Ah" and we all had to guess that he wanted us to stand up and let him though. Quite a high percentage of departures given the capacity.

They both missed Daniel Lapaine's alarming red-faced turn in the second act, a facial colour not seen since the Jacobi King Lear.

I see the Independent also noted it was more like a sitcom, but in a negative way whereas I viewed that as a positive.

#12 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

If that's the other one I noticed  he stood at the end if the row for the rest of act 1 so perhaps back rather than bladder trouble

Given the acts are 60 and 40 minutes I would have thought people could hang on!

As you say, sitcom in a good way - much more fun than I expected
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#13 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

A little gem of a production. Bleak, devastating, but funny throughout. And v well cast- great to see 3 actors, who I've enjoyed in bigger productions, in such a small space. For a 3 week run, they've spent quite a lot of money on it. The set is beautifully textured, solid wooden floor etc. A couple of lines in the new version jarred with me; "just desserts" for example. But other than that, I was rather impressed. A good end to 2012.

#14 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Forgot to add: there was a clear distinction between the audience going to see Yes, Prime Minister in Studio 1 and those seeing DoD in Studio 2, so much so that when I was sat in the bar before the house opened, I played guess the play they're going to see. I was right almost every time. A good example of Donmar patronage compared to commercial W-E based on TV series play. Also, hope they extend the bar area before the (no doubt sell out run of) Macbeth opens. It's a right squeeze in there.

#15 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 30 December 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

Forgot to add: there was a clear distinction between the audience going to see Yes, Prime Minister in Studio 1 and those seeing DoD in Studio 2, so much so that when I was sat in the bar before the house opened, I played guess the play they're going to see. I was right almost every time. A good example of Donmar patronage compared to commercial W-E based on TV series play. Also, hope they extend the bar area before the (no doubt sell out run of) Macbeth opens. It's a right squeeze in there.

I tried to distinguish between the two audiences but in general it was not possible, all middle-class white people. I wouldn't be sure Macbeth will sell out with even the second price tickets North of £50.

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Pn2: not sure what you mean re audience at Trafalgar Studios. If you mean that the on message, totally up to the minute and very intelligent people were seeing DofD then maybe I can agree....but I also saw Yes, Minister in its first manifestation ( not to mention first time round on the telly)

So specifics please in future.

#17 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

PN2 were one half of the audience better dressed? on Christmas day my grandparents asked if theatres occasionally did dress down for the audience so all the riff raff could turn up in......wait for it............jeans and suchlike. I'm paraphrasing as i can't remember exactly what was said but the implication i heard was all those oiky people who didn't know enough to dress properly. I may have disinherited myself when i said few people dress up and that i always chose my clothes on the basis of comfort, the weather and ability to run in them for train.

#18 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

I saw YPM too reasonably early on, but now it's been running for such a while that it's picking up the tourists, or that was the impression I got last night. People who don't seem to go to the theatre (judging by conversation), who were in London for a break, foreign and wanting to see something 'British'. The DoD audience were the usual Donmar type: white, middle class, go to the theatre often.... 'do you remember we saw McNally in Hamlet or Lapaine in the recent Hedda' type people. Better dressed? Yes, I'd say so. DoD wore blazers or skirts.... I was the youngest there by a good few years I think. Not super smart, but def better turned out.

#19 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 30 December 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

A couple of lines in the new version jarred with me; "just desserts" for example.

"Just deserts" means "that which you deserve by the laws of justice." P#2, are you telling us that The Dance of Death makes an inappropriate pun about puddings? If so, I'd expect the Yes, Prime Minister audience to get the joke.

#20 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

woops :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users