- - - - -

2013. My Diary Is Looking Empty For Next Year. Should I Worry?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

So far i've booked Merrily we roll along and Sunday in the park with George - in Paris i'm so excited :D  also
I realy can't wait for Perfect American: Phelim McDermott directing Philip Glass :D

A freind is taking me to 9 to 5 - it could be fun ... Must book tickets for Chess at Union Street ... Sound of music at Regents Park could be nice, one to take Grandma too ... West Side Story, if if can get discounted tickets ... Color Purple, don't know much about it but i love John Doyle's work.

I hope Sheffield's Lady comes into town as it sounds great - The Barbican have gaping holes in the schedule and it would be nice to have something half decent there!

National Theatre -
Will the Tori Amos musical come off? or will we get any musical?!
I'd love to see the Adrain Lester Othello
I'd like to see People but only if I can get cheap seats. Might try the cinema screening thingy

Any thing i've missed? Oh and Happy Christmas :)

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#2 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostReich, on 23 December 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

National Theatre -
Will the Tori Amos musical come off? or will we get any musical?

No and no. For someone who made his NT reputation with a musical Nicholas Hytner's aversion to the classic musical is puzzling and must be a conscious decision he made, I suppose due to the abuse heaped on Trev by the critics for programming (in their view) too many.

The Tori Amos musical seems to have gone the way of Three Musketeers - a blaze of pre-publicity and then an embarrassed silence.

#3 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

I can see why NH doesn't want to follow TN steps and recreate broadway in the 40's and 50's but then this drought?

Also the the new writing, bleugh. does anyone actually read the scripts?1 13 or Greenland anyone? At least with Tori and Musketeers they didn't have the cheek to charge people to sit through it ...

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostReich, on 23 December 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

13 or Greenland anyone?

... or Travelling Light, The Holy Haussmans, Last of the Rosenbergs, etc etc.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#5 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Back to topic. I see you are musicals person mainly Reich, so can't help you there ,unless  the Sheffield My Fair Lady comes to London so watch out for it. But for plays what about Old Times, good cast and RSC Hamlet? Also The Globe has good season I think.

I have loads booked already which is probably mistake because I am sure something marvellous will come along and then I won't be able to fit them in! So keep at least one Sarurday free.  

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Now we've mentioned 2013 , I hope it brings lots of super theatre for us all.

Happy Holidays.

#7 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Sunken Garden at the Barbican, American Lulu at the Young Vic (which looks to be selling quite well - some dates sold out), Robert Lepage's Playing Cards at the Roundhouse all look interesting. I've also splashed out on (relatively!) cheap tickets for The Minotaur and Written On Skin at the Royal Opera House.

#8 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

On 10 Dec, a NT spokesman confirmed that the Tori Amos musical The Light Princess has been further developed and that the NT is looking to produce it in a slot later in 2013 and will announce further details and dates in the new year.

#9 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostLynette, on 23 December 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Back to topic. I see you are musicals person mainly Reich, so can't help you there ,unless  the Sheffield My Fair Lady comes to London so watch out for it. But for plays what about Old Times, good cast and RSC Hamlet? Also The Globe has good season I think.

I really liked Old times a few years back at the Donmar, althoughnot sure if i'm ready to see it again as i enjoy plays but I much prefer theatre with music

I should try The Globe again. Under Mark Rylance it always appeared to to be full of exchange students and lunching-ladies from the provinces who thought heritage theatre was the thing to do. Now I hear it's different but still cheap as chips <_<

View Postxanderl, on 23 December 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

Sunken Garden at the Barbican, American Lulu at the Young Vic (which looks to be selling quite well - some dates sold out), Robert Lepage's Playing Cards at the Roundhouse all look interesting. I've also splashed out on (relatively!) cheap tickets for The Minotaur and Written On Skin at the Royal Opera House.

Thanks American Lulu looks  and Sunken Garden look really interesting :rolleyes:

#10 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Have you seen In The Republic of Happiness, Reich? Quite a few songs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users