18 replies to this topic

#1 tsxmitw

tsxmitw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

To celebrate the upcoming premier of Les Mis in UK cinemas, what are your favourite/most memorable lines from the musical?

For me Cosette's "you will live, Papa, you're going to live - it's too soon, to soon to say goodbye" is one of the most heartbreaking and emotional lyrics in the whole musical.

It gives me chills every time and when I think of Les Mis as an emotional musical I always remember that line. I think it evokes a common feeling amongst all of us when we lose someone so close to us, and that's why it's so beautiful in the theatre.

What are yours?

#2 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

Fantine/Eponine/Valjean in the Finale: "to love another person is to see the face of God".

#3 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

First one that comes to mind is "One thing more, one small doubt, there are treacherous people about" from The Bargain/The Thenardier Waltz of Treachery. Not a stand out or emotional line, but one I enjoyed delivering when I was Thenardier in my school production.

And for emotional impact, "Come to me, where chains will never bind you".
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#4 musicalepicness99

musicalepicness99

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

View Postposter J, on 28 December 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

Fantine/Eponine/Valjean in the Finale: "to love another person is to see the face of God".
Definitely this one

#5 MrTumnus

MrTumnus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Enough of that, or I'll forget to be nice! - for the comedy element.

To love another person is to see the face of God - by far the best.

I can't think out of the box as I don't have a box to start with.

#6 carandgem

carandgem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

When Valjean proclaims  "Who am I? I'm 24601!" Always gives me goosebumps thinking what it cost him not just to give up his anonymity, but also declare himself no more than a number.

#7 west_london

west_london

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

I'm always very moved by Fantine's admission that she has literally screwed all her dreams:
"I'd Reamed a Dream in time gone by..."

Oh...and the touching 'There's Something About Mary' moment between Eponine and Marius:
"Oh God, it's everywhere...!"

#8 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

"You're on your own...
YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS!"

Often used in the playground when I was growing up :D
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#9 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

I frogot about this when I first posted, but I love the imagery of this bit of On My Own:

"In the rain, the pavement shines like silver.  All the lights are misty in the river..."

And from the Finale:

"Do you hear the people sing, lost in the valley of the night.  It is the music of a people who are climbing to the light.  For the wretched of the earth, there is a flame that never dies.  Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.  They will live again in freedom in the garden of the Lord.  They will walk behind the plough-share, they will put away the sword.  The chains will be broken and all men will have their reward..."

#10 Priscilla's heel

Priscilla's heel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

I've always liked the line in Empty Chairs - "My friends don't ask me what your sacrifice was for." The music and emotion behind it always makes me a bit tearful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users