7 replies to this topic

#1 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

I'm off to New York in March, though sadly not for a purely theatre trip, but still hoping to catch a show or two.  I'm going with friends who aren't really theatre people, so I doubt they'd appreciate being dragged around to get rush or lottery tickets, but I could probably persuade them to do tkts, and they do want to do one show at least.

So basically I'm wondering if anyone who's been to NY recently, or indeed goes regularly, could help me with tips on what time to get to tkts, how much discount there's likely to be (if any) etc - we're on a student budget so can't afford wildly expensive tickets.  We get to NY at lunchtime on a Friday, so could do a show that night or Saturday evening.

And of course any recommendations for shows would be very welcome too.  I'd love to see Newsies or Once but doubt they'd be available on tkts or that I'd be able to sell the idea of them to my friends!  So I'm looking for alternatives in case those suggestions get shot down.  Musicals only please, I think I'd be the only one willing to go to a play.

And in case we do decide to book or pick a show where we'll need to book (like Matilda and, I'm assuming, Once and Newsies), are there any decent sites for buying NY theatre tickets, or just the individual shows' websites?

Any help would be gratefully received, I can do London theatre tickets easily but I've never been the one organising Broadway tickets before!

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

Couple of tips .. If you have an iPhone etc there's a tkts app which will show you what's on sale each day and at what discount. Also worth signing up at playbill.com for some good offers you can book in advance
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 Viserys

Viserys

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

You can see what's on TKTS on their website: http://www.tdf.org/TKTSBoards.aspx - if you follow it regularly, you'll get a good idea whether Newsies or Once will be available in March. Though Once is coming to London, so I'd go for Newsies. It's harmless, fluffy entertainment with a couple of good songs, very Disney.  Broadwaybox.com has discounts for for it quite regularly, so you can save AND book in advance to not rely on whatever seat choice TKTS has left on the same day.

You could also look into Off-Broadway shows which currently have the (IMHO) more interesting shows like "Bare" or "Silence - the Musical". It's a bad season on Broadway.

Another thought: I wouldn't aim for a Broadway show on the day of arrival. Once you've gone through all the hassle of airport transfer, checking into the hotel, finding food, etc. and you sit down in the darkened theatre, jetlag will catch up with you quick.

#4 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

If you're under 35, check out Hiptix - you can join up and then book heavily discounted tickets in advance.

#5 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Have a look at http://www.broadwaybox.com/ - you can generally get really good advance offers - if you prefer to know what you are seeing in advance!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#6 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

this is a handy site too :- http://www.broadwayforbrokepeople.com/

#7 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for all the help so far :)

Looks like I might end up going to a show of my own choosing while others are going to something I've already seen (not paying Broadway prices for a show I've seen before when there are plenty I haven't).

So can anyone who's seen any of these shows offer their opinions on whether or not they're worth seeing:

Newsies
Nice Work if You Can Get It
Once
Matilda

I know the latter two are in/coming to London, but Matilda's difficult  to get tickets for here, and I was wondering if the Broadway cast of Once are good enough to make it worth seeing there as the leads for London are fairly unknown quantities as yet...

Another option would be plays such as Cat on a Hot Tin Roof or Breakfast at Tiffanys, but I'd probably prefer a musical unless there's a play that's unmissable.

#8 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Matilda is not difficult to get tickets for over here and the cast here are superb and you wont get dodgy english accents ;-)

Newsies is a must - such energy and choreography and catchy music to boot.
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users