237 replies to this topic

#1 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Happy New Year, everyone! Hope this year's entertainments will please you all. I have just booked tickets for The Audience, for May. I got row K, center, stalls. Is anyone else planning ahead to see this?

Best from NYC,

Cat

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

Yes, I've shelled out full price (well, £10 off full price since it's a preview) and got row E stalls for 23rd Feb. Will no doubt post what I think afterwards.

#3 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I'm being boring and not booking which means it will Be THE show of the decade.

#4 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Looking forward to your review, Pharoah. Me, I had no choice but book for May! Great seats, BTW. I think I was competing against other visitors for springtime seats.

Lynette, anything with Helen Mirren is going to be good :-)

Regards from chilly nyc,

Cat

#5 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

bless you cat6, some of us can recall with pain Antony and Cleopatra. Yes, she was ok but the whole thing a dis ..ah..ster..

#6 Ruperto

Ruperto

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Yes, I have to admit that after sitting through Phedre at the National three or four years ago, I've got no great desire to see Helen Mirren on stage again. I didn't think she was very good at all in that - but then IMO the whole play was a bit of a dud (fab set though, I seem to recall). And maybe it's just me, but The Audience sounds like it's got the potential to be a teensy bit dull?...

#7 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Well, you guys, I went through Madam DeSade a few years ago (with Judi Dench, just post her accident). I was in mortal fear. Many who saw it said basically that the sets were interesting! I thought it was brill. Very well done.

The bit I remember most, however, was when the phone rang. It sounded just like a phone would in the 1700s, if there had been phones -- over the top, silvery; loud. In the scene the women were just finishing up and moving off stage (to answer the phone??). It was actually somebody's mobile! The thing was so loud it startled everyone. I could tell the actors were startled by it.

#8 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

I too like Madame de Sade but was in that happy place where you have read how rubbish something is, so have very low expectations and are pleasantly surprised. Also it was my birthday and I was having a lovely lone day out, being entirely selfish and doing what I wanted. I remember the dresses and how fabulous Judi was.... B)

#9 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostLynette, on 02 January 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

bless you cat6, some of us can recall with pain Antony and Cleopatra. Yes, she was ok but the whole thing a dis ..ah..ster..
  She was a disaster when I saw it as her costume literally fell apart...

#10 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

I have no desire to see Helen MIrren on stage again ,but the play itself sounds interesting. Not much availability on the Delfont website. I hope they will offer day seats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users