Jump to content


The Audience, I Just Booked


  • Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#111 armadillo

armadillo

    Advanced Member

  • Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

View PostLynette, on 26 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

He'll be good but would have liked Spall to have the nod.
  Has he ever done any stagework? And more to the point, is his brother producing the show? :)

#112 xanderl

xanderl

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Shame we didn't get Freddie
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#113 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Lucky few to have seen Robert Hardy in what must be his last performance on stage - now 87 I believe.

#114 Nicholas

Nicholas

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

I remember on Desert Island Discs a while back Hardy was saying he was written out of the Harry Potter films because he would cost too much to insure at his age.  How does stage work work with that kind of thing?  Presumably the problem is with film if a problem emerges half way through you have to refilm everything whilst on stage you can just recast as with now, but is there something similar?

I liked someone's suggestion of Freddy for the role.  Maybe instead he should play Cameron, then Emilia can play Thatcher, whilst James can play Macmillan, Lawrence can play Callaghan...

#115 KevinUK

KevinUK

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Anyone day seated? I'm going to try on Saturday, providing the rain holds off and I don't ignore my alarm. I'm guessing ill have to be up really early what with Helen being a national treasure and what not (plus the small fact that she's reprising a character that last time she played, won her an Oscar...)
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#116 KevinUK

KevinUK

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostNicholas, on 26 February 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

I remember on Desert Island Discs a while back Hardy was saying he was written out of the Harry Potter films because he would cost too much to insure at his age.  How does stage work work with that kind of thing?  Presumably the problem is with film if a problem emerges half way through you have to refilm everything whilst on stage you can just recast as with now, but is there something similar?

I liked someone's suggestion of Freddy for the role.  Maybe instead he should play Cameron, then Emilia can play Thatcher, whilst James can play Macmillan, Lawrence can play Callaghan...

Too much to insure in Harry Potter? I think it's more to do with the fact his charcter got fired as Minister of Magic between book 5 and 6, surely? It's nothing but a bit part in book 6 anyway. Surely they can't refuse someone insurance (and thus work) though because of age - surely it's illegal?
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#117 Nicholas

Nicholas

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

View PostKevinUK, on 26 February 2013 - 11:51 PM, said:

Too much to insure in Harry Potter? I think it's more to do with the fact his charcter got fired as Minister of Magic between book 5 and 6, surely? It's nothing but a bit part in book 6 anyway. Surely they can't refuse someone insurance (and thus work) though because of age - surely it's illegal?

Listening again to see...

KY: You were written out earlier from the films than the character was in the books, why was that?
RH: Well, it's insurance that kicks old actors like me out of the game because, um, I mean I was insured for over a million at some point over the last film or the one before and they would have wanted to put it up, the insurers, so Warner Brothers, who were short of cash of course, said very sadly, I mean there was a day when three producers got onto a party telephone and rang me up and said "We don't know how we're going to say this" but I'd already sussed it out and said "No, I know, I know"

It's on the DID archive, about 7 or 8 minutes in.  It might be illegal, but I don't suppose you can sue Warner Brothers.  I assume the stage is more lenient?

#118 KevinUK

KevinUK

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

View PostNicholas, on 27 February 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:



Listening again to see...

KY: You were written out earlier from the films than the character was in the books, why was that?
RH: Well, it's insurance that kicks old actors like me out of the game because, um, I mean I was insured for over a million at some point over the last film or the one before and they would have wanted to put it up, the insurers, so Warner Brothers, who were short of cash of course, said very sadly, I mean there was a day when three producers got onto a party telephone and rang me up and said "We don't know how we're going to say this" but I'd already sussed it out and said "No, I know, I know"

It's on the DID archive, about 7 or 8 minutes in.  It might be illegal, but I don't suppose you can sue Warner Brothers.  I assume the stage is more lenient?

Thanks - it's not often you hear Hollywood being straight. It would have been easier for them to simply write him out and say he wasn't needed, but at least they did it right by him. It's not that he couldn't be insured, it would just cost too much.

And here's me thinking Harry Potter was a billion dollar franchise....
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#119 armadillo

armadillo

    Advanced Member

  • Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Why would it be illegal? They aren't obliged to hire anyone (and acting is exempt from a lot of equal opportunities legislation anyway). Lots of parts in Harry Potter books were skipped in the films so I suspect the insurance thing was WB's way of dumping him nicely.

#120 theatreliker

theatreliker

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Dayseated yesterday (Tuesday). Got there around 7.45 - way too early probably as the guy second in line was there just before 8.30.
Front row centre though and am glad for it. Stephen Daldry came onstage before hand to announce Robert Hardy's understudy would be on - does an announcement like normally happen in previews?
Overall, I think it was one of the best things I've ever seen. Exteremely theatrical, clever and entertaining. Saw it on the same day as The Mousetrap so it was interesting to go from one British institution to another.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users