#121 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

Just come out of tonight's show and very much enjoyed myself.  Far funnier than I imagined it would be with highlights being Major and Wilson (whom got a round of applause after both his 1st scenes). The only sap in energy was Churchill's scene - think it could have been Edward Fox's first performance so I imagine this will get a lot better. Helen Mirren did stumble over several lines and whilst this didn't detract it was noticeable

Seriously, there needs to be an Olivier for Best Costume Change as they were bloody marvellous! Where I was sat (Gods, back row centre) there was a group of us that were literally gasping in delight!!

Personally I would get rid of the corgis - nothing was added (apart from EVERYONE going 'aaarrrrrrr' every time they came on) and the ending was even spoilt by the sudden inclusion of the mutt.

The only surreal down point was the usher in the 2nd act. I was on an aisle seat in the centre and this young usher chap lay on the floor next to me, pulling on my seat on the several times he got up!! THEN he started talking on his walkie talkie thing ("Greg? Greg? Are you there") in the auditorium whilst the perfomance was going on!!!! SHOCKING!

In conclusion, worth going to see. And Mirren gets her tits out! Bonus!!

#122 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

23 people queuing the best part of the morning for this, and its not even had press night yet. Only 16 day seats per performance apparently. I arrived at 8am (it would have been earlier, but I convinced myself it was in the Noel Coward for some reason, so popped over to St. Martin's Lane first....) and at 8am there were 7 people in front of me. On the plus side, front row for this at 10 is a right bargain - just have to ensure I defrost my feet before tonight!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#123 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

There are also some standing spaces available at the back of the stalls when the front row day seats are gone.

#124 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

What a wonderful show - I've never known the time to fly by so fast! I think it's extremely well written, acted and staged, and the costume changes! My own criticisms are that I think leaving Blair out was a mistake, and the wigs are horribly shabby up close.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#125 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

I've gathered my thoughts and my reviews now up on the blog.
I agree about the costumes, they're great. How's Edward Fox as Churchill?
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#126 kjb

kjb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:02 AM

Just for info for potential dayseaters, I walked past the theatre at 8am this morning (to queue next door for Curious Incident) and there were already 6 people at the Gielgud queuing for dayseats.

I can only imagine the queues will get longer now reviews have come out.

#127 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

Yes, I reckon the day seats will now require Herculean efforts in terms of queuing duration. I might go again when it's warmer and therefore less dreadful to be outside for hours on end in the early hours.

#128 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

Transferring to the savoy

#129 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostJamiem, on 07 March 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Transferring to the savoy
Where did you hear this? If true it seems a bizarre transfer as it's gone from a Delfont Mac venue to an ATG one.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#130 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostAlf, on 07 March 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

Where did you hear this? If true it seems a bizarre transfer as it's gone from a Delfont Mac venue to an ATG one.

Its not that unusual as Let it Be transferred from the Prince of Wales to the Savoy, guessing this means Let it Be is closing early. I would have thought any extension will be short due to Helen Mirrens doing promotions for Red 2 in July/August unless the show takes a hiatus or she doesn't do them,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users