237 replies to this topic

#131 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Let it Be is doing no business, it's true. I thought that the limited run at the Gielgud was due to Mirren's schedule, so I find it a little hard to believe they'd transfer it in London. It would have to be another limited run. There's no point in re-casting it as really, everyone is going to see Helen Mirren. And I imagine that a run on Broadway is being eyed, so a transfer to the Savoy really doesn't make any sense.

#132 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Might make sense if there's a break due to Mirren's schedule then a pre-Broadway run at the Savoy? Presumably many of the PMs would be recast so they might want to break the new cast in before Broadway?

Actually I wonder how much sense this would make to a US audience - I think a lot more historical context would need to be explained (having said that not sure how many people the night I saw it knew who most of the PMs were!)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#133 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

View Postxanderl, on 08 March 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

Might make sense if there's a break due to Mirren's schedule then a pre-Broadway run at the Savoy? Presumably many of the PMs would be recast so they might want to break the new cast in before Broadway?

Actually I wonder how much sense this would make to a US audience - I think a lot more historical context would need to be explained (having said that not sure how many people the night I saw it knew who most of the PMs were!)

When I went I was sat next to an American couple who were in London on a layover and they had no idea who any of the PMs were besides Churchill and asked me to fill in the gaps. Obviously this isn't representative of all Americans but the main reason they were there was for Mirren. Whether this would be enough for Broadway I have no idea.

#134 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

When I went I was sat next to an American couple who were in London on a layover and they had no idea who any of the PMs were besides Churchill and asked me to fill in the gaps

Ah yes, similarly, the night I went, I was listening to an American asking the guy next to her at the interval "who the guy was that came after Churchill". Americans are absolutely fascinated by the Royal Family though and Mirren is more of a draw now than she's ever been (which is saying something), so with a few script tweaks, it could easily do a limited run on Broadway. Presumably, the Savoy run, if it happens, would be limited and they'd open it on Broadway around the Tony cut off date for 2014. They opened it here on the last possible day to contend for this year's Olivier Awards, so a similar timetable for an NYC transfer would make sense.

#135 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

To be honest I'm not sure a lot of the British people watching it know all the PMs in the play. And anyway it's a West End play that attracts a lot of international audience who very probably don't know many of the PMs but just want to see it because of Helen Mirren. I include myself into it.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#136 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

So to confirm, dayseats are £10 and stalls front row?
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#137 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Day seats were front row until the press night, now they could be anywhere (according to box office staff) They should still be £10 but you had better be prepared to queue!

#138 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

I have no problem with the queueing and arriving super-early to do it, I'm an early-queue veteran, but that's a pain that the dayseats "could be anywhere" - it's more that than the early queueing that puts me off
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#139 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

I agree.  I wonder why the policy has changed and whether it will reduce the interest?  It would probably take a lot to persuade the management to revert to front row day seats, though.

#140 tinymattresses

tinymattresses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hi all, I'm new.

How early does one have to arrive in order to have a chance at getting a seat?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users