Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 09 March 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

Um, 'actor portraying the Queen'? What else could it mean? :blink:

Thanks, armadillo. I had to phrase my question carefully. Imagine had I said, "who would make a better Queen?" I'd have been pounced on for THAT. OMG, LOL.

#152 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostTitan, on 09 March 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

dont get me wrong she impersonates the queen well, as she did in the movie. but doesnt make me want to see the play.

Oh, OK. Plenty of plays I give pass to!

#153 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

If he ever had the most tenuous grasp on it, Tim 'nasty and dim' Walker has now truly lost the plot with his one (one!) star review in the Sunday Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph...ud-Theatre.html

It's all very well to take issue with perceived political bias, but even Quentin Letts could see past that to the show's entertainment value. I'm sure most of this paper's readers could, too.

#154 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Just a few weeks ago a Telegraph writer said The Audience was the play of the spring.

Better to read the papers for facts, not opinions.

#155 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

Charles Spencer gave it 5* in the Daily.

#156 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

Some fine performances and nice moments in this. From the sound of the crowd, my fellow audience members really enjoyed it - shouts of laughter, rippling groundswells of amusement, and impromptu clapping throughout. I confess I wasn't quite as transported as the very vocal people around me, and I guess I found it more a mixed bag: an enjoyable evening, but it didn't quite live up to the Massive Hype for me. (To be fair, I maybe had unrealistic expectations.)

The good:
~ Richard McCabe (Harold Wilson) is sublime. Terrific performance. I adored him.
~ Helen Mirren (the Queen, duh) is also great. Particularly in her scenes with McCabe, but with the others as well. She's on stage for pretty much the entire thing, and it's very much her show (obviously). I feel very privileged to have seen her act live.
~ Bebe Cave (one of the three Young Elizabeths) was luminous. Loved her, and her scenes with Mirren were spot-on.
~ On-stage costume changes!
~ State dress, absolutely gorgeous.
~ Balmoral set - divine.
~ CORGIS.
~ The thing they do with the invisible window that gave me the shivers.
~ One very topical joke they must have inserted a couple weeks after opening. It brought the house down.

The not-so-good/slightly less good:
~ I just couldn't suspend my disbelief for some of the PMs, particularly the ones I knew well. Edward Fox (Churchill) was lanky and too young, which made his elder-statesman role fall flat for me. Nathaniel Parker (Gordon Brown) and Rufus Wright (David Cameron) largely had the accents/intonations of their characters down (although Parker's voice was too high, imo), but they just ... didn't look right. Gah. [For Brown I may have been spoiled by his portrayal by David Morrissey in The Deal, so your mileage may vary.] This may also be entirely my fault for sitting too close - maybe from farther away they would have blurred a bit at the edges and been easier to squint into their inspirations, but sitting in row C I couldn't get past the feeling that they were party-piece impressions.
~ I totally bought Mirren at most of her "Queen ages" - varying flavours of middle age and elderly - but her "new Queen" didn't work for me. I could tell she was working really hard at it - her intonations, body language, and carriage were different - but I just couldn't buy her as a 26-year-old new queen. It might have worked better to age the Young Elizabeth up and have her do that scene; I suppose that wouldn't have worked with it being the Mirren Show, though. (And also then the transition between Churchill & Eden wouldn't have worked, I guess.)
~ The butler/equerry fellow felt a bit over-the-top. Probably intentional. But he was shading on caricature.
~ One of the PMs felt entirely shoehorned in, which I think may have been the point but came across rather awkwardly.
~ Thatcher ... looking back, I'm torn. I think they did a decent job with her scene, and yet I couldn't help feeling like it wasn't quite as awesome as it could have been? I don't know how they could have bettered it, though, so it seems a bit unkind to criticise.
~ The programme is 4 quid and about 70% the exact same as the Book of Mormon programme, which was annoying.
~ No mobile phone announcement beforehand, which I'm unfairly blaming for the fact that someone's phone went off two rows behind me in the middle of a quiet scene.

Anyway, to sum up, it was an enjoyable evening and I'm glad I went - it was great to see Mirren being her fabulous self, McCabe was a revelation, I'm going to keep an eye out for Bebe Cave in future, and everything is better with corgis.

I kind of want a sequel with just Mirren and McCabe, though. Maybe the Queen and Harold Wilson could be zombie-hunters defending the UK from the invasion of the undead. Or I'd even enjoy an indepth exploration of the Wilson premierships - make it The Audience 2: The Greatest Hits, and give me 10-15 Queen & Wilson audiences. Ted Heath could show up and be the bad guy. Oh, and throw in the corgis, they're awesome.

#157 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

Oh, I should add - there was an adorable bit for Red Nose Day at the end of the curtain call. Mirren did a little "Queen wave" and motioned for everyone to quiet down, then told us she was sure we'd always wondered what the Queen carried in her handbag. Well, she was going to show us - and it was a red nose, which she promptly donned, as the rest of the cast also pulled out red noses from various pockets and put them on as well. Then, laughing at the way her voice was all funny because of the nose, she told us there'd be buckets for Comic Relief on the way out. At least some of the cast were helping with the buckets - I put my change into Eden's bucket. :D Very cute.

#158 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

Are you American by chance?!

#159 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Mr. Barnaby your recent posts seem to be a bit cynical.
It's a great play.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#160 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 16 March 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

Are you American by chance?!

Huh? Is this because I like Mirren or because I adore Harold Wilson, or...? I'm confused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users