237 replies to this topic

#171 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

I don't see why this couldn't transfer to another West End theatre with a new Queen. Of course the "box office bonanza" is largely due to HM but lots of other plays manage without megastar casting and people who want to see the play would find available tickets at usual prices. I think Linda Bassett would be perfect for this play.

#172 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

I think she's more a Queen Victoria type.

#173 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Sorry, HG, it is Helen Mirren who is the big draw. Just ask around. The punters want to see her 'do' the Queen again.

#174 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostLynette, on 29 March 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

Sorry, HG, it is Helen Mirren who is the big draw. Just ask around. The punters want to see her 'do' the Queen again.

I know that! I began by saying that she's the reason for the "box office bonanza". But the play would stand up with another lead actor - exactly as One Man, Two Guvnors carried on in the West End with Owain Arthur when James Corden took it to Broadway - and it might be worth a shot at extending it, to see if there was enough public interest to sustain it. I think the play has strong appeal to a middlebrow audience - the type who flocked to Yes, Prime Minister and who like history documentaries on BBC2 and who listen regularly to Radio 4. Surely a transfer to another West End theatre would cost much less than mounting a completely new production in the same theatre, and the new Queen would probably be paid less than Dame Helen. It must be worth a shot by the producers, provided they can open the transfer as soon as possible after the close at the Gielgud, to maintain momentum. Anyway, we will see...

#175 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Yes, but I cannot think of another actress who could play the part off the top of my head - let alone be a box office draw. Very difficult to cast.

#176 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

I could see Zoe Wanamaker pulling it off.

As HG says its worth a try - worth trying without Mirren to see if it has a longer life. In a few years it will be touring with Anita Dobson.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#177 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

View Postxanderl, on 30 March 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

In a few years it will be touring with Anita Dobson.

There's a pun in there somewhere.

#178 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

I've always thought Samantha Bond could take over as she's also played the Queen. Helen McCrory would be good but she was Cherie Blair in the Queen and The Special Relationship so may cause confusion.

#179 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

OK, I got it -- Honor Blackman.

#180 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Any advances on Honor Blackman?
My guess is Juliet Stevenson.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users