Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

View Posttheatreliker, on 31 March 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

Any advances on Honor Blackman?
My guess is Juliet Stevenson.

Juliet Stevenson is filming Atlantis which is the new BBC family drama so its unlikely she would be able to take over.

#182 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Prunella Scales has done HM of course - but a bit elderly now. How about Penelope Keith?? Isn't it fun playing casting agent/producer - lol.

#183 stitcher

stitcher

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

I'll raise you Miranda Richardson or Lindsay Duncan to your Honor Blackman. Having said that, how about Olivia Colman?

#184 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

I agree people go to see Helen, but anyone could actually do the part. It doesn't seem all that taxing actually, compared to other roles out there. However, I don't think they'd be brave enough to not go with a name.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#185 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

Imelda Staunton would be pretty darn fine......

#186 Avfan

Avfan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

I day seated today. Got there for 7:50am and was the last person in the line to get Day Seats. Anyone after me was offered standing. Someone had mentioned that Day seats were now second price seats, they're not. They are still on the front row and there are 16 in total.

Rather annoyingly number 2 and 3 in the Que were obviously touts, or rather employed by touts to wait in line. Shock horror when I got to the theatre tonight they were nowhere to be seen, and instead four people who most definitely were not in the Que were sat in their seats. both touts had got there at 6:30 am according to the guy at the front of the Que. It goes to show how much they are being paid, and how much the tickets are being sold for if they are happy to get out of bed at 5;30am.

The theatre are doing their best. you can't actually pick the tickets up till 7:10pm but all the tout did was got the tickets, made a phone-call straight away and handed them over outside the theatre.

Loved the show though, Helen Mirren was fabulous, not a revolutionary piece but a really lovely evening at the theatre.

#187 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

Very annoying that! How about they insist on photo ID when purchasing the day seat tickets and then it has to be shown again when actually entering the auditorium (rather than collecting the tickets which seems a waste of time when touts have 20 minutes to give them to people paying outrageous prices)? Would only need to be checked for the 16 day seats.

#188 Avfan

Avfan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:38 AM

View PostZippy, on 03 April 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

Very annoying that! How about they insist on photo ID when purchasing the day seat tickets and then it has to be shown again when actually entering the auditorium (rather than collecting the tickets which seems a waste of time when touts have 20 minutes to give them to people paying outrageous prices)? Would only need to be checked for the 16 day seats.

Totally agree. They did take the details of the people who purchased the tickets off the touts to try and see who was selling them? One tout in particular barely spoke English and spent ages at the box office window. It's so hard for the box office staff though. they get it wrong once, refuse a sale based on the assumption the person is a tout, that becomes a news story and the producer gets pissed. It's only going to get worse as the run continues. They could perhaps take a pic on an I phone, print the 8 or whatever pictures, give that to the people ripping tickets to check?

#189 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Having queued for dayseats for various plays many times, I've never been aware of touts in the queue. The photo ID suggestion would work well. In some music venues you collect tickets at doors opening and must go straight through from there, though that wouldn't work so well in a theatre.

I almost got into a fight with a tout in a queue for day tickets for a Radiohead gig ten years ago. He was suddenly there just behind me, seemingly out of nowhere - classic tout - greasy hair, bad skin, grubby windcheater, truculent attitude. Of course, the people behind him didn't say anything about him pushing in - we really need to assert oursleves in this country, I keep thinking this in the Badly Behaved Audiences thread - so it was left to me to invite him to reconsider pushing in to the queue, and he retorted with his objections to my idea. The exchange of views got heated, someone else meanwhile introduced a police officer into the debate, and the whole matter concluded.

Obviously in this case (getting back to The Audience) they hadn't pushed in and had been queueing 'legitimately' as it were, but I think the photo ID solution would be pretty straightforward to implement.

View PostAvfan, on 02 April 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Someone had mentioned that Day seats were now second price seats, they're not. They are still on the front row and there are 16 in total.

Ah - interesting. I'd written this one off on the basis of the supposed "day seats are second price and random" thing. But if they are still front row, I'll go. Sounds like a 5am jobbie to me.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#190 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

How much do the touts get paid for doing their dirty work?

Also, what does "tout" mean, and is it "toot" or tout to rhyme with "out"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users