#211 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostCat6, on 09 April 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

The cinema showing should be good. I only went to one such event, but I liked it mainly because the camera was allowed to move in on the singers (it was an opera) or frame the part of the stage where the action was taking place. I would not like it if the camera were static and showing the full stage the entire time. I also liked knowing that the action was taking place in real time. That it was remote, and yet I could see it hundreds of miles away was cool :-)

Should be great because I can't imagine there's much for a director choosing shots to get wrong. I saw an NT production at the cinema that was well done, but recently saw a Very odd War of The Worlds. The director/editor there had cottoned on that the acting/story  wasn't great  but the percussionist and the guitar players were very talented and watchable - but then spoilt it by constantly cutting sharply between actors, the guitars and Julia Thornton the percussionist - line, pluck, strum, bang, line was alarming to watch.

#212 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

My dayseats were front row last weekend. Great seats.

#213 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

Apparently on Sat eve Dame Helen Mirren dressed as the Queen went outside the theatre to tell a march of drummers who could be heard inside the theatre to "shut the f*** up". I wish I had been there!

#214 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

Accompanied by David Cameron!

http://www.telegraph...to-beat-it.html
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#215 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Dame Helen grants dying boy's wish by meeting him in character as The Queen ...

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#216 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

In the ever diminishing world of "celebrity" and the overuse of the word "star". I can officially say that Dame Helen Mirren IS a STAR!

#217 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Finally got round to seeing this last night. Just wow, brilliant production, play and performances. I'm really glad I saw this. I was sat in the grand circle slips, and while leaning was involved, the fact that the ticket was £10 rather than £125 sweetened the deal. I've rambled more extensively on my new blog if anyone is interested: http://thegreatestof...ud-theatre.html
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#218 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Saw this last night after my partner day seated (Got there at 6am and was 2nd in line with all the other day seat places filled by 6:45am). What an absolute bargain for a tender for a front row seat. I thought the actual play itself was outstanding, some fantastic moments and changes that I imagine have been put in since opening which really brought it up to date. In terms of performances, what can I say? Helen was truly remarkable and worthy of all her praise and awards for this show. The supporting cast including all 12 PMs, you couldn't have asked for better. I urge everyone to try and cast this!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#219 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

Completely agree Mark. I day seated when it was in previews, and you'd never have guessed - Helen was superb, everything was fluid, and the pacing of the piece was spot in. I don't think I've the stomach to queue for 4 hours for it, but I'm certainly going to catch the cinema showing next week!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#220 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Ahhh so that's what you were all going on about, saw this on nt live tonight and whilst I was sitting there thinking this would be great to be actually there, it worked really well on screen. There were a few of those i'd rather be watching the other person that the one you've chosen to zoom in on moments but can't complain. Can anyone enlighten me though, how did they do those custom changes on stage? They purposely didn't linger on those so only had the first surprise change and I can't figure how that worked so quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users