237 replies to this topic

#221 Palatio

Palatio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

Marvellous play that worked well on screen.

Does anyone know who the understudies for Helen Mirren and Hayden Gwynne would be?

#222 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

A tremendous evening at the cinema/theatre - I just wanted to ask anyone who has been there in the flesh, about the forced perspective corridor. How big are the chairs in the distance. Very effective. A very clever play, made more so by not being chronological and by having the young Princess as a device for externalising internal thoughts. But crikey, how expensive must the production have been, with a huge cast, some of whom barely have ten minutes of stage. Great to see so many actors. If it should tour, one can imagine it being done with the same actor consciously playing every Prime Minister. Shame the screened version fought shy of all but one of the legendary costume changes. But a fantastic evening. Richard McCabe was outstanding as of course was Helen Mirren.

#223 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Enjoyed it a lot but was incredibly disappointed that they didn't show the costume changes, especially as they had a feature on them in the interval!

#224 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

I know costumes changes are not a dramatic element, but everyone and all the papers have made such a fuss of them that it seems perverse not to see them. A great evening but crikey Emma Freud was out of her depth and squirmingly embarrassing as she interviewed the author.

#225 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostMonteverdi, on 14 June 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

A tremendous evening at the cinema/theatre - I just wanted to ask anyone who has been there in the flesh, about the forced perspective corridor. How big are the chairs in the distance.

They're pretty small. Half a metre high, perhaps? Hard to tell, since the forced perspective and raked floor makes it so effective.

#226 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

Thank you Pharoah. Hopefully somewhere there is a photo of Helen sat on them looking like a giant.

#227 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

anyone anything to report from the last night of this. How sad it had to go.

#228 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Just got back from an NT Live Encore Screening of this. Absolutely tremendous. I hadn't read anything about it before I went on purpose and I am glad I didn't. Wasn't expecting it to be quite so funny!

#229 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

I hope they put this out on DVD or on Digital Theatre. This was far too good for it to be left. I actually think it could easily be adapted into a TV drama.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#230 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

Just back from seeing the Encore screening of this. I loved it as much second time, appreciating the clever structure and the device of her younger self, and the fragmented chronology. Very beautifully written, but the screening at Altrincham was blighted with less than perfect sound this time - every few words had a pop or a crackle, as if it dropped out. Not great sadly. Twelfth Night tomorrow....oh I love these screenings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users