237 replies to this topic

#31 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Anyone seen this yet? Going tonight on day seats, front row £10. Got to the queue this morning at 6am which was perhaps a little overdoing it.

#32 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

What time would you recommend getting there for for day seats and when did it get busy - bearing in mind Saturday is a two-show day.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#33 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

hi theatreliker -- what time did the second person arrive for day seats? Sounds like you got a great deal!

#34 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Well. I went by on Friday and the people at the front told me they got there at 6am, so I did the same this morning. The line wasn't busy until 9am. I think, until reviews hit, a 7:30 to 8am arrival time should mean you get tickets.

#35 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Going on Monday night - so interested to hear what those who went on Friday or Saturday thought

#36 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

I got a day seat for tonight. I got to the theatre for 9.00 and got the last evening seat, with around 14 people in front of me. 16 seats per performance, so i'd say get there for 8.00 or earlier for a non-matinee day.

Play was very entertaining. Very funny in places, Helen Mirren was great and the acting was generally top notch. The Wilson character/actor was great, with him and John Major being the crowd favorites. It's basically different scenes of her talking with the 8 different prime ministers. It's very fictional, idealised in places as well ( Some of her opinions are a bit too left wing/nice) and that's the one flaw. A bit more darkness in her would have been welcome, but then it is just supposed to be entertainment rather than something deep!

Play runs for 2 hours 20 minutes as well. I imagine the reviews will 4-5 stars. The daily telegraph will love it!

#37 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

View Postzahidf, on 16 February 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

I got a day seat for tonight. I got to the theatre for 9.00 and got the last evening seat, with around 14 people in front of me. 16 seats per performance, so i'd say get there for 8.00 or earlier for a non-matinee day.

Play was very entertaining. Very funny in places, Helen Mirren was great and the acting was generally top notch. The Wilson character/actor was great, with him and John Major being the crowd favorites. It's basically different scenes of her talking with the 8 different prime ministers. It's very fictional, idealised in places as well ( Some of her opinions are a bit too left wing/nice) and that's the one flaw. A bit more darkness in her would have been welcome, but then it is just supposed to be entertainment rather than something deep!

Play runs for 2 hours 20 minutes as well. I imagine the reviews will 4-5 stars. The daily telegraph will love it!

Telegraph already called it "the play of the spring". Maybe they didn't notice the left wing bit too much ;-)

#38 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

It's a very classy production .. Elegant set.. The quick changes are handled brilliantly and the guy playing Wilson steals it... BUT it's terribly Daily Mail... Middle class theatre at its worst. Entertaining but safe.
Mirren is good... But not outstanding. I'd already forgotten most of it by the time I got home.

Still ... It doesn't matter really. It's pretty much sold out entirely already.

#39 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

This is going to do very well, and is an enjoyable West End night out. Maybe it is "middle class theatre at its worst", and it's certainly safe, but is that such a terrible crime? It doesn't insult the intelligence, and has lots of funny and occasional touching moments. However, like Mr Barnaby I have forgotten most of it rather quickly.

I think Helen Mirren was rather more than good, considering she had to go forwards and backwards in time and accent, and run a fair gamut of emotions. Plus she has a very convincing cold in one scene. All the actors did a terrific job, Mirren especially. Paul Ritter's physical likeness to his PM is scary.

The one scene I didn't much care for was Thatcher's. Perhaps she would say to the queen "I've taught the country that there's no such thing as society", but it sounded like a Maggie cliche, and there were a couple of other trite bits in it.

Best of all - spoiler alert! - LIVE CORGIS

btw - we had cheapy cheap seats (£10) in the Grand Circle (AA5 and AA6). Not that comfy but could lean forward to our hearts' content and didn't miss anything. Definitely recommend for short poor people.

#40 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

I think they have made an error in leaving Blair out though.

I thought it was perfectly entertaining while watching it.. But it shed no new light on the Queen and I felt if you stripped away her wig and costume, you'd have no idea she was playing the Queen. Having said that .. She showed great comic timing and it was still a thrill to watch her, but it could have been so much more than it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users