237 replies to this topic

#41 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

I think they have made an error in leaving Blair out though.

Don't agree with you there. The Blair story was very focussed on in the film, so his absence here didn't matter too much. And to call it safe, middle class theatre, MrBarnaby, well I'm not sure why you would expect it to be otherwise? It's a redundant criticism of a play like this.

Yes, it's a little pat in places and yes it's a little clunky in others, but it is only the third preview, they have another 16 to go, with rewrites and restaging ideas going in all the time. Those are minor quibbles to me in what was an absolutely joyous evening of theatre. Helen Mirren is absolutely sensational and must be knackered by the end of the performance! Barely offstage throughout, and when she is she's hurtling around for another quick change before dashing back on. she delivers an absolute tour de force performance, utterly convincing in all incarnations of the Queen. I really enjoyed myself, I laughed a LOT. The main set is lovely too, though there are still changes to be made there I understand. It'll be interesting to see what the critics make of it.

For anyone doing day seats, the front row is FANTASTIC. Nice low stage and enough of a distance to mean absolutely no neck craning is required. I was right in the middle and a couple of times, Mirren comes right to the front and was dauntingly close! Well worth the seemingly endless hours of queuing in the cold on Saturday morning.

#42 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Are there any bits theatrical/ self-conscious moments in it? With a title like 'The Audience' there are surely obvious theatrical connotations?
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#43 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

The ATG site for this play/theatre must be about the worst I have ever tried to use.  On and off I keep attempting to see what's available, but it's incredibly fiddly and hard to navigate.  I don't mind queueing for day seats, provided I know how early I need to arrive in order to be sure of a seat (would therefore have to be a Sat), which is just as well if I can't make head or tail of the online system!  Why is it not possible to search by ticket price, for instance, instead of ploughing through date after date, only to find nothing apparently available even when you have selected "Search by availability" at the outset?

#44 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

The theatre is not ATG it's Delfont Mackintosh ...?

#45 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

And the Delfont site is a dream to use, I find. ATG, on the other hand.....

#46 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Well I searched via the ATG site and the show came up - shall try Delfont M and see if it's more user-friendly, so thank you for the tip.MrBarnaby and popcultureboy!

#47 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

PMFJI I just tried ATG for Peter and Alice. I couldn't budge it. Telegraph tickets next, ditto. Then another service that showed horrible seats. That's how I ended up using American Express concierge service. Since I only have a short week in London I have to have all my ducks neatly lined up well before departure. I'm happy -- I get Helen Mirren and Judy Dench and 2 meals at J Sheekey in St Martin's Lane.

Now let me find some budget Indian restaurants!  ^_^

#48 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Peter & Alice as well as The Audience are owned by DMT. They have their own site which shows all available seats. ATG will only have an allocation, which is all that will show on their site for these shows. It's always best to book through the theatre's own site if you can.

#49 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostCat6, on 17 February 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

Now let me find some budget Indian restaurants!  ^_^

In case you're being serious...

Masala Zone in Covent Garden and in Soho - great value thalis. And Dishoom in St Martin's Lane; touch more expensive (though it doesn't have to be if you get their v good dhal and rice), but very tasty.

#50 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Or if you fancy the walk, Bangalore Express on Waterloo Road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users