Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 17 February 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

In case you're being serious...

Masala Zone in Covent Garden and in Soho - great value thalis. And Dishoom in St Martin's Lane; touch more expensive (though it doesn't have to be if you get their v good dhal and rice), but very tasty.

Thank you :-) I am serious. and I love dahl. That and saag! :)

#52 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 17 February 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Or if you fancy the walk, Bangalore Express on Waterloo Road.

Thank you :-)

#53 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Are there any bits theatrical/ self-conscious moments in it? With a title like 'The Audience' there are surely obvious theatrical connotations?

The moments when Mirren and the young Elizabeth look out of the window and thus straight at the theatre audience does spring to mind there. Mirren was so close to me the first time it happened, I could practically see up her dress.

#54 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 17 February 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Peter & Alice as well as The Audience are owned by DMT. They have their own site which shows all available seats. ATG will only have an allocation, which is all that will show on their site for these shows. It's always best to book through the theatre's own site if you can.

Indeed it is best always to try to use a theatre's own site - I just hadn't realised I wasn't already doing so in this case.  Probably because, as my user name suggests, I'm more of a fringe than mainstream West End theatregoer.  Your information also explains why, if ever I did find any seats on ATG, they were mysteriously always the same few (and badly sited and expensive), regardless of date.  I thought it was suspicious but realise now that they must have been all that remained of the ATG allocation.

#55 James84

James84

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

Just back from the 4th preview - a few dodgy lighting cues and one scene had a lot of prompting, but when it settles bu opening night, it will be great. It's a really well written play- funny, interesting and insightful. Well recommended.

#56 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Assume the prompting is for Mirren? There were some noticeable line flubs and stumbles on Saturday night too. It's such a huge role and in addition to all the dialogue, she has a shedload of behind the scenes madness to deal with. so it's no surprise. They have a decent preview period so by March 5th, she will have it nailed.

#57 johng

johng

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Last night the prompting was for Robert Hardy, who twice seemed to struggle to recover even after the prompt.  He's playing a very old Churchill but seemed genuinely confused and around me the audience were beginning to whisper that he wasn't going to make it through the scene.  Given how few lines he has, it was a bit surprising to see him struggle so badly.

#58 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

View Postjohng, on 19 February 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Last night the prompting was for Robert Hardy, who twice seemed to struggle to recover even after the prompt.  He's playing a very old Churchill but seemed genuinely confused and around me the audience were beginning to whisper that he wasn't going to make it through the scene.  Given how few lines he has, it was a bit surprising to see him struggle so badly.
On the one hand, give him a break, he's 87. On the other hand, it's not fair on the paying audience if he's not up to the job when Churchill-impersonators aren't exactly thin on the ground :blink:

#59 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

How odd, he was fine on Saturday! I wonder if there were some rewrites?

#60 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 19 February 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

On the one hand, give him a break, he's 87. On the other hand, it's not fair on the paying audience if he's not up to the job when Churchill-impersonators aren't exactly thin on the ground :blink:

Does the audience pay a full ticket price for previews? Assuming they are buying a reserved seat, not a day seat.

I think it would be interesting to see a little "reality" injected into a play-event during previews, as long as it wasn't ridiculous -- like being kept waiting on the sidewalk (pavement) outside the theatre past curtain time while something is ironed out before the audience is allowed in (Broadway play; does this sort of thing happen in London?).

Or, as one time happened, being sent away from an off-Broadway preview without ever entering the theatre. No idea what happened. Play just disappeared. Guess it had to do with $.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users