Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

I've been to previews where we've had to wait to nearly or past curtain-up due to things still being sorted out. A couple of years back at the NT at a Mother Courage preview, it was past curtain up and we were all still outside, then there came an announcement that due to technical difficulties still being addressed, there would be only two thirds of the performance that night, everyone would be refunded regardless of whether they chose to attend, and anyone who didn't wish to attend could of course do so. I chose not to, preferring to see a complete performance. I never rebooked and never saw that production.

Never heard of a play just vanishing like the one you mentioned!

Damn - my 900th post. I'd been meaning to leave it at 899 and bow out. I like the idea of leaving it permanently at that just-off-a-round number mark. Maybe one more and leave it at 901, either that or another 99.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#62 johng

johng

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

I found the play extremely entertaining and interesting, and post show research (yes I'm that sad) seems to confirm that several of the incidents covered are supported as reasonably accurate/likely, based on the accounts by individuals who were around the PM/Queen at the time.

I enjoyed it enough to book to see it again from very close to the front in April.  From row J last night, and with the "action" largely confined to 2 chairs, I had my view of Helen Mirren blocked by the heads in front of me for much of the first half.  In the second half this stopped being a problem as the actors are more mobile and the people in front stopped rocking from side to side like demented weebles.

The crowd gave a rousing ovation for the actors at the end and Roberty Hardy was especially well greeted, surpassed only by the applause for Helen Mirren.  I had not seen her on stage before but thought her performance was exceptional, especially as she is on stage for 99% of the action, and undergoes several rapid changes of appearance as time moves backwards and forwards.

The actor playing the queen as a young girl was also very good.

#63 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Wonder if the Princess Kate/Hilary Mantel gubbins will be written in to Cameron's scene, now that he's spoken out in the former's defence?

#64 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Does the audience pay a full ticket price for previews?

It varies, but there's £10 off premium and top price seats during previews for The Audience.

#65 johng

johng

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

"Wonder if the Princess Kate/Hilary Mantel gubbins will be written in to Cameron's scene, now that he's spoken out in the former's defence?"

We were discussing on the way home what they might add as topical references to the Cameron scene, given that the Queen referenced both mansion tax and the Pope's abdication.  We thought this might be a fun way of keeping it fresh for the actors, as well as amusing the audience

#66 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Morgan is planning to add bits in every now and then, from what I understand. Smart idea. Wonder whether it'll be done on a scheduled basis, as it'll have to be rehearsed, or whether headline stuff will be incorporated as and when?

#67 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

View Postjohng, on 19 February 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

I found the play extremely entertaining and interesting, and post show research (yes I'm that sad) seems to confirm that several of the incidents covered are supported as reasonably accurate/likely, based on the accounts by individuals who were around the PM/Queen at the time.

I enjoyed it enough to book to see it again from very close to the front in April.  From row J last night, and with the "action" largely confined to 2 chairs, I had my view of Helen Mirren blocked by the heads in front of me for much of the first half.  In the second half this stopped being a problem as the actors are more mobile and the people in front stopped rocking from side to side like demented weebles.

The crowd gave a rousing ovation for the actors at the end and Roberty Hardy was especially well greeted, surpassed only by the applause for Helen Mirren.  I had not seen her on stage before but thought her performance was exceptional, especially as she is on stage for 99% of the action, and undergoes several rapid changes of appearance as time moves backwards and forwards.

The actor playing the queen as a young girl was also very good.

Thanks for your review. You know, you'd think theatres would be better designed so that people piled in rows and rows in the audience could see the action on stage. OFTEN characters are sitting. Is this b/c producers and directors sit (as they do in movies about plays) in the 8th row with no one else in the house to block their view? I have row K 16-17. You were one row ahead and had probs! Wahhh.

#68 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 19 February 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

Wonder if the Princess Kate/Hilary Mantel gubbins will be written in to Cameron's scene, now that he's spoken out in the former's defence?

I wouldn't think so -- why give Hilary Mantel oxygen?

#69 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 19 February 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

Morgan is planning to add bits in every now and then, from what I understand. Smart idea. Wonder whether it'll be done on a scheduled basis, as it'll have to be rehearsed, or whether headline stuff will be incorporated as and when?

Perhaps the Queen will be presented with cold beef sandwiches for her tea with DC. Will she refuse?

#70 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

Enjoyed this a lot. As people have said, it gives no great insight into the Queen herself but its really terrific fun and Mirren is outstanding.

Day seated this morning. After reading the posts on here I arrived at 7:50 which turned out to be far too early as I was first in line and the second person didn't arrive until 8:25 but it got me a centre seat so there we go. I noticed there were several people standing at the back of the stalls. I wonder if these were sold to those unlucky to get day seats, there were at least 20 people in the queue by the time the box office opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users