#1 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

View PostNicholas, on 05 January 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

This has no real appeal to me. I have a horrible image of this being just a series of consecutive and probably very similar two-handers with Queenie dropping co-stars as she goes along. 13 Prime Ministers in, say, 150 minutes is about 12 minutes a PM. Either Morgan needs to think of a clever way around it or it'll just be watching Helen Mirren get old on stage whilst actors play political kareoke. But then again, I'm usually wrong about these things.

My hunch is that Nicholas is strongly likely to be correct in his hedge that his prediction may be wrong. Other famous prejudgments include the insistence that James Corden is wholly unfunny and everyone is ignorant of the 1950s and so One Man Two Guvnors would fall flat on its face. And of course that it was utterly distasteful and outrageous for the NT to set serial killing to music (London Road).

#2 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

I'm hoping for something a bit more Assassins-like than a series of tableaux.

Other wrong predictions include 'Nobody will be interested in seeing David Tennant and Catherine Tate now they aren't in Doctor Who' and 'The new Mike Leigh is bound to be great - I hear they've been workshopping for six months now.

And 'Damned By Despair - that sounds quite interesting'

#3 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2078 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

"Globe to Globe" - that will be a complete flop!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#4 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

View Postxanderl, on 06 January 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Globe to Globe doom-predictions were an instance of people who understood exactly what it'd be like and had no personal interest in it but then foolishly and mistakenly assumed that everyone else shared their tastes, opinions and prejudices.

The more interesting false predictions are when people construct a dreadful show in their own bonkers imaginations and then rail against this phantom disaster. The prophets of doom and disgust for One Man Two Guvnors and London Road definitely fell into that trap.

The worst are the people who actually see a show and still get it completely wrong. A prime example was Blasted, where it took several years for some major critics to realise and admit that their original mistaken criticism.

#5 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

View Postxanderl, on 06 January 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

I believe there were a couple of sporting events last year that were also predicted not to be a success

#6 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Let me add to the chorus of those pointing to the mistakes of others while admitting to none of their own.

#7 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Six months ago I would have said Jonathan Pryce in King Lear was going to be astonishing, unmissable, unforgettable theatre.  And then I saw it.

#8 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

P.S. I'm flattered my prejudgement on The Audience is already famous.

#9 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 06 January 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Let me add to the chorus of those pointing to the mistakes of others while admitting to none of their own.
  I can't speak for anyone else but one of the wrong predictions I posted was my own (though I doubt I mentioned it here)

#10 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 06 January 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

I believe there were a couple of sporting events last year that were also predicted not to be a success
I'll admit to predicting that if we're being truthful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users