12 replies to this topic

#11 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

Very little James Corden has done before or since challenges the notion that he is entirely unfunny, however prior to actually seeing him live in the play there was no predicting the palpable and beguiling charisma he brought to the part on stage - one of those occasions where predictions made with incomplete data prove unreliable.

London Road is a more ambiguous case - I assert that it was distasteful but that does not mean it wasn't popular and entertaining - I'm sure you'd get a big audience for bear-baiting too.

#12 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

I hated London Road, so for me that prediction was correct.  

I was wrong about Privates on Parade. I thought that with Simon Russell Beale
And Michael Grandage, it had pre-christmas delight written all over it. It turned out to be thoroughly 'meh' despite all the gushing reviews.

#13 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 07 January 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

Very little James Corden has done before or since challenges the notion that he is entirely unfunny, however prior to actually seeing him live in the play there was no predicting the palpable and beguiling charisma he brought to the part on stage - one of those occasions where predictions made with incomplete data prove unreliable.

For me it wasn't just James Corden, it was the fact that the last Richard Bean play I'd seen was "England People Very Nice" which made me assume this would be dreadful.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users