18 replies to this topic

#11 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

I went to the matinee yesterday & found it fairly enjoyable, in a bonkers sort of way, but not amazing. I was glad I'd seen it once but wouldn't want to see it again. Also I felt it ended too abruptly. I would have liked another dialogue scene, either between the last two numbers or after the last one, to tie up a few loose ends a bit more neatly.

#12 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Anyone able to report on the floor or lack thereof in row C post-refurb?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#13 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Can't report on row C, unfortunately, xanderl, but if it was the same as B used to be, the dip or gully or whatever has been filled in so your feet rest on a proper floor at normal ground level.  I checked most carefully before booking for the new season and I was fine in B for Gay's The Word.  I can't imagine that other rows wouldn't have received the same treatment if necessary during the refurbishment.

#14 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

View Postxanderl, on 17 February 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

Anyone able to report on the floor or lack thereof in row C post-refurb?
I was in row D but from what I could see row C looked to have a proper bit of floor at the right height for feet.

#15 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

Thanks! Sounds like a major improvement
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#16 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

Blimey this was fun.  Actually funny too!  At a couple of points I was in pain laughing (admittedly, mostly due to terrible cough, but I laughed more than I've laughed at a play in a long time, and I genuinely belly laughed a great deal).  Minor quibble - I didn't believe in Peter's haircut - but other than that fabulous - still have a huge smile on my face.  I'm not an expert on this genre, but my knowledge of Noël Coward's operettas suggests to me lovely tunes, duff book.  Here, lovely both!  There might have been nothing to the plot, but there were some fantastically drawn and performed characters which gave it life.  Some great Novello tunes, and some really funny lines.  Sophie Louise Dann was just ace - one person gave her a standing ovation and she deserved it.  Of course it's daft as a box of drunken frogs and the plot could have been written by one of said frogs, but really great fun - more than I've had in a theatre in a long time - and I'll be humming Vitality all month.  Flimsy and silly, yes, but that doesn't matter - I'm still smiling, it was great fun.  Bona theatre.

#17 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

I'm curious now - when did it start getting funny, then?  Nothing for me in the first half so the second half would have had to be 100% good to make up for it.  Maybe it really was a show of two halves, but there was no sign that it was going to pick up.

#18 Montmartre

Montmartre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Classical Music

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

I totally agree with Nicholas.  (We are still laughing at the dancing/singing bees!)

#19 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

View Postfringefan, on 22 February 2013 - 04:26 AM, said:

I'm curious now - when did it start getting funny, then?  Nothing for me in the first half so the second half would have had to be 100% good to make up for it.  Maybe it really was a show of two halves, but there was no sign that it was going to pick up.

Perhaps it's just a certain style of humour that's an acquired taste - I found it funny, you didn't, such is life.  I think that's probably the case.  But regardless, I found it very funny indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users