7 replies to this topic

#1 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Arriving late at the Rupert Everett autobiographies I find they confirm their reviews as jaw-dropping masterpieces of a kind, like David Niven for Generation X.

Has anyone read the Ricard Burton Diaries ? Worthwhile ?

Any other new and good theatre books around ?

#2 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Not quite in the same vein but my young son (14) loves the theatre especially the West End. For Christmas we bought him 2 theatre books. One called "London's Theatres: A Guide to London's Most Famous and Historic Theatres" with a forward by Zoe Wanamaker (we bought it in Dress Circle and another one whose name escapes me atm but is a very informative London theatre guide giving facts, seating plans, listing of shows that have been there etc. My son really likes them both

#3 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Craftymiss, I think I have both of those books as well and also enjoy them.
At the moment I'm reading Julius Green's (?) How to produce a West End Show. - I think it's quite interesting and gives you a good knowledge of information.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#4 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

Ah I saw that on the shelves in Dress Circle. Not really the same thing but I bought Dee Cannon's book "In Depth Acting". Its more for a practitioner but I bought it for my daughter who aspires to be an actress. Interesting stuff

#5 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Have you all read the first Rupert Everett autobiog ? You really should. The description of his participation in the landmark RSC productions of Macbeth (McKellen/Nunn) and Coriolanus (Howard/Hands) are worth the price of admission on their own.

#6 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

No I havnt, I'll go look on Amazon, sounds interesting

#7 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 09 January 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

No I havnt, I'll go look on Amazon, sounds interesting

While there order the fine book "Covering McKellen" which was discussed here previously. Actually both books are about covering McKellen, but in different senses of the word (a little joke for any horsey people out there).

#8 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Michael Grandage's Decade at the Donmar (more of a coffee table book than a bed-time read) is beautifully done. Images of every production at the Donmar under his artistic directorship, with - often v frank - commentary throughout. The RRP is £50, but I got it for around £20 on Amazon, and it's well worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users