• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 robbie1984

robbie1984

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I have been trying to get information on West End box office takings but it is extremely difficult to find anything on it.
I know that West End theatres like to keep their takings a secret but is there a way to find out what shows are doing very well at the moment? Is there a top 5 / 10 chart somewhere to be found?

#2 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Commercially sensitive information which marketing organisations are prepared to  pay a lot of money for is rarely available free (see also tv/radio audience figures). Why do you need to know?

#3 robbie1984

robbie1984

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 07 January 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

Commercially sensitive information which marketing organisations are prepared to  pay a lot of money for is rarely available free (see also tv/radio audience figures). Why do you need to know?

Just curious, that's all. It is interesting that Broadway releases all the information on a weekly basis and was wondering if there's any sort of source to track West End takings or just get an idea which shows are doing very well / bad.

#4 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

As figures dont tend to be released other than the occasional positive press release on size of advance, the best way to know how shows are doing is the availability of special offers, and if they are displaying dates as sold out on booking sites.

#5 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

The fact remains that Broadway theatres are open and above board in releasing box office figures and West End box office figures remain a closed secret.  Why?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#6 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Think you are looking at it the wrong way. Very few large companies disclose their financial situation publicly (especially weekly), so the real question is why DOES broadway, no?

#7 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostFireFingers, on 07 January 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

so the real question is why DOES broadway, no?

Agree entirely.  It's interesting info, but can't see any reason it needs to be made public.

#8 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

I'm not in disagreement.  But I still wish the West End impresarios would be more open.  I'd like to know, wouldn't you?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#9 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

...and box office takings are meaningless unless you know the outgoings for the production,

For example Wicked may take £500,000 a week and Spamalot take in £150,000 but if Wicked costs £505,000 a week to run and Spamalot only costs £79,000 a week to run then which one is actually doing better.....
Which way did he go McGill?

#10 mavybenson

mavybenson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

I am also wondering why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users