• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 umlietung

umlietung

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'm posting for the first time so please go easy, Just wondering about what i should and shouldn't say, although i've no desire to truly offend anyone.
I think that the West End Theatres are really very tatty, and not pleasant to visit, i last went to a show "The Sunshine Boys" in the Savoy last year and while the show was excellent Danny DeVito shone, i came away covered in bites of some sort and was uncomfortable for two days, i also had this when i went to "When We are Married"
It put me off from going for a while and as i live in Epsom i have started going to the Richmond Theatre which i find far more comfortable and it seems cleaner.
I don't wish to tar the whole of the West End in London Theatreland with the same brush, but i really think they need to be looking at this issue.
No doubt the angry mob out there will be sharpening the pitchforks etc and preparing the tar and feathers because i have dared to criticise this world famous institution, and i have had plenty of nights out and never had this, it seems to be a  more modern experience i've had.   Scott.

#2 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Welcome Scott.

I can't imagine anyone here getting offended by your criticisms of West End theatres - we've all been to some rotten ones.

Annie

#3 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

Ooo bad about the bites! We know that the theatres are in poor nick. They keep the lights low in the West End so you don't see the crumbling walls and the damp etc. though i think the Noel Coward has been spruced up. Or was it the other one on St Martin's Lane? anyway, I've never had bites and I've been going to theatre for yonks. I think you were unlucky but might be worth informing the management of the theatre and then putting on Deet before next visit.
Don't let your experience keep you from good theatre. On the other hand there are plenty of shows in off west end venues. And the National is tatty in places but generally clean.

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Of course, it is a miracle we don't all catch everything going or perhaps our exposure to all the bugs serves as some kind of inoculation. Who knows? But they used to close the theatres in plague time.....

#5 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

I hear they've had trouble shifting the mice from St Martin's Theatre ;)

Welcome umlietung - I agree, the Richmond Theatre is lovely.
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#6 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostLynette, on 07 January 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

Of course, it is a miracle we don't all catch everything going or perhaps our exposure to all the bugs serves as some kind of inoculation. Who knows? But they used to close the theatres in plague time.....
Some years ago when the bird flu panic was going round and they were advising against going to crowded places I can remember my first reaction being 'oh no what about the theatre'. Of course we all still went and bird flu seemed to buzz off after a while anyway. I wonder if Lynette has a point, the amount of sneezing and coughing we must subject ourselves too, let alone all that public transport, perhaps we can now justifa that theatre going is not just expanding our minds (Latecomer and i pretend this regardless of whether our minds respond appropriately) but also is good for our health! Ohh it can be instead of the gym perhaps?

#7 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

View Postpeggs, on 08 January 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

Ohh it can be instead of the gym perhaps?

Yes, that works for me...one annual membership to theatre-going please.

#8 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

When Hairspray was at the Shaftesbury the cast could complain of rat droppings getting in their make-up.
And i  always see a mouse or 2 at The Dutchess.

But i dont think Ive been bitten or caught anything at a show. Interesting the Savoy being mentioned, I always think they're one of the better maintained theatres.

#9 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

View Postjaqs, on 09 January 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

When Hairspray was at the Shaftesbury the cast could complain of rat droppings getting in their make-up.
And i  always see a mouse or 2 at The Dutchess.

But i dont think Ive been bitten or caught anything at a show. Interesting the Savoy being mentioned, I always think they're one of the better maintained theatres.

Rat droppings in the Hairspray makeup sounds a fine tribute to John Waters's earlier work - remember Divine eating dog shit?

#10 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

View Postumlietung, on 07 January 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

I think that the West End Theatres are really very tatty, and not pleasant to visit,

Agreed. I have said several times that West End theatres are squalid flea-pits and I object to paying a restoration levy to them when I would much prefer to pay a demolition levy. I very rarely go to theatre in the West End for this reason and have missed many shows (particularly at the Haymarket) which if they had been staged at the NT I would have gone to. West End ticket prices are also absurd given the poor view you get from anywhere except centre-stalls.

However, I must disagree with you on Richmond Theatre - I think that is rubbish too - do yourself a favour and confine yourself to the Orange Tree when in Richmond. You can easily see one interesting thing a week by confining yourself to non-West-End theatres.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users