61 replies to this topic

#1 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Inspired by Latecomer's recommendation in the post about Longing, I wondered if anyone else had other tips for restaurants, cafes or eateries near to theatres (or in theatres - for my money the coffee and cakes at the National are great both taste and price-wise).

#2 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

I also like the £10 deal at the National near Lyttleton bar......can't beat their fishcake + salad of your choice + glass of wine for £10 but have to get there early for a table! B)

#3 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I have always enjoyed the meal deal at Las Iguana's just round the corner from Festival Hall
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#4 timbo

timbo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Bistro Savoir Faire on New Oxford Street, just up the road from the Shaftesbury Theatre is lovely. Never had a bad meal and reasonably priced.

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

For the Old or Young Vic, Olivelli on The Cut (Italian) and the Thai food at the Windmill pub are good value and reliable
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

I endorse the fish cake deal at Lyttleton, nice and filling which is often needed to stave off hunger pangs as the evening progresses. I would also recommend the Waterloo kitchen round the corner from the Old Vic. Need to book ; you can park outside if you take the car. Opposite the Young Vic is a Spanish tapas place Don Felipe, on the corner. Excellent, noisy and a guitar player most nights. Worth queuing for a seat after a show.
If you are near Shafestbury Avenue then find Yalla Yalla in Green ct. Lebanese street food, utterly delicious, v small place but if you have time, get there early and you can get in.

#7 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

If you have the misforture to be attending a squalid West End theatre then the following restaurant (The Balcon) in the loose "up-scale fine dining" category is really sensational value for the area (be sure you get the pre-theatre menu or whatever they call it, not the a la carte one), it's a good location and a very nice room (restaurant snobs like me would normally be put off by the fact it is a hotel restaurant but fortunately they have eliminated almost all the evidence of that) the food is excellent (and you get an enormous free basket of bread). Prices are easily <50% of equivalent West End venues.

http://www.toptable....CFYqZ4AodrzMAEQ

Now, don't you all go piling in there with your shabby clothes and your student railcards - this one is for the likes of Lynette and me.

#8 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostLatecomer, on 08 January 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

I also like the £10 deal at the National near Lyttleton bar......can't beat their fishcake + salad of your choice + glass of wine for £10 but have to get there early for a table! B)

You think so? I always find the NT food v expensive and portions too small. On the Southbank I stick to Wagamama; can't beat their Yasai Cha Han.

In the West End, Spud is a favourite of mine. Cheap baked pots with interesting toppings. Nice and cosy place to sit, with free wifi and bottles of water. Panton Street has loads of cheap eateries... set menu for under £10 type thing. Also Bistro 1 in Soho and also Covent Garden. Good value.

#9 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I like BiBimBap in soho for a cheap bowl of hot food close to Phoenix, Prince Edward and Palace

#10 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 09 January 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Also Bistro 1 in Soho and also Covent Garden. Good value.

I second that.  I also quite like Salieri opposite the Savoy - very good value for the location, decent food and I love the slightly mad decor.  As smaller chains go, Canteen's not bad, at the back (and by that I mean the side facing away from the river) of the Festival Hall on the Southbank or in Spitalfields (and wherever else they are).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users