61 replies to this topic

#11 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3751 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Canteen has got quite expensive in the past year or so. I used to like going there, for it was good quality and good value, but now I don't count it as a cheap eat.

#12 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostLatecomer, on 08 January 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

I also like the £10 deal at the National near Lyttleton bar......can't beat their fishcake + salad of your choice + glass of wine for £10 but have to get there early for a table! B)
and on the basis that i may as well get the glass of wine it puts me in a lovely mellow mood for theatre watching as i so rarely have one, i suppose this could be dangerous if i watch something quiet and slow -_-

#13 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3751 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

View Postpeggs, on 09 January 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

and on the basis that i may as well get the glass of wine it puts me in a lovely mellow mood for theatre watching as i so rarely have one, i suppose this could be dangerous if i watch something quiet and slow -_-

That's where I fall short- I don't drink, so there's no saving for me.

#14 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

See, since I don't lime fishcakes and don't drink wine, I think food is one thing the National really dissapoints on. There's not enough choices of hot food at reasonable prices, thet frequently run out, and it is often rather stodgy - which is lethal before a long, serious play. We default to wagamama on the southbank, the italian place down the road from the old vic or sometimes Tas, the turkish place, and EAT or Cafe Nero if we're running late amd only have time for a quick bite.

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Let's hope the redevelopment provides some good eating.  What an opportunity , facing the river, loads  of space, how can they get it wrong this time?

#16 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3751 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I was sat in the NT foyer on Tuesday and overheard a little meeting discussing lots of these re-developments. Moving the bookshop to wear the Lyt cloakroom is, re-designing the Long Bar etc. Are they closing the NT for a period of time to do this? As yes Lynette, hope they sort out the eateries.... a good river side light lunch / coffee shop place would be great in the summer. With enough tables this time please.

#17 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:03 AM

Somewhere for solo visitors/audience members would be great, too.  People have already mentioned the shortage of seats at the NT, but it's also not great if you're on your own as you either have to ask to share or expect to be asked in turn.  Chain coffee shops/restaurants such as those mentioned above are better configured in this respect and, of course, aimed at those who don't stay long anyway, so they still make enough money.

#18 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

The problem with having a good restaurant in the NT is that it would soon become over-run with people who aren't actually there for a quick bit before a show. Much as the NFT catering next door  has nothing at all to do with the needs of its patrons. Try turning up at 5.45 at getting *anything*  to eat apart from crisps (and not even crisps in the upstairs bar) before a 6.30 film and see just how angry you can get in such a short time.  Angry and hungry.

#19 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Know what you mean - I used to go to the Festival Hall a lot for concerts but now I rarely, if ever, go because the place is just an enormous over-crowded bar. It's impossible to get a pre-concert drink or bite to eat because it's rammed with people (who probably have no idea that it's actually a concert venue) and most of the bar staff are crap. I'd hate to see the NT go down that path.

#20 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Actually I find the RFH better than the NT pre-show, if I am visiting the latter.  I can usually have a small table to myself and snack on one of their soup/stew plus bread combinations, whereas in my experience, at the NT I'd find nowhere to sit and nothing reasonably-priced to eat.  Of course I do also take my own food (sandwich + fruit) just in case, but a whole day of cold snacks can pall, and in winter it can be difficult to find anywhere indoors to consume these.  What all these venues seem to have in common is that they cater for couples/families/groups and can feel quite alienating to those who attend alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users