61 replies to this topic

#21 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

There should be a place where we have to show our tix in order to get in....

#22 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Interesting - I feel very comfortable eating/drinking in the NT alone and I can usually find somewhere to sit; the Olivier cafe is better than the Lyttelton one and usually quieter. I might give the RFH another go but I expect to be driven out by the massive queues and wall of noise from screaming children - either that or to give up and go off in a huff when a complete incompetent fails to provide any service whatsoever.

I've got a long-standing bee in my bonnet about the RFH's poor customer service, sorry...

#23 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 11 January 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

The problem with having a good restaurant in the NT is that it would soon become over-run with people who aren't actually there for a quick bit before a show.

So what ? The NT building is for everyone, not just those who have bought tickets, and for the NT to turn away people willing to pay them money is foolish.

#24 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 11 January 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

The problem with having a good restaurant in the NT is that it would soon become over-run with people who aren't actually there for a quick bit before a show.

View PostEpicoene, on 11 January 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

So what ? The NT building is for everyone, not just those who have bought tickets, and for the NT to turn away people willing to pay them money is foolish.

Agreed. What idiot would open a restaurant and only welcome customers immediately before and after performances?

And what's a "quick bit" in this context anyway?

#25 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 11 January 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Agreed. What idiot would open a restaurant and only welcome customers immediately before and after performances?

And what's a "quick bit" in this context anyway?

The Barbican gentlemen's toilets are sometimes overrun by people wanting a quick bit before the show.

I would only approve of this NT policy if they also compelled every single ticket holder to dine there. However, it might be an idea for them to offer ticket holders a discount (maybe they do ?) Or priority table booking - they could set up a subscription scheme with three levels of membership.

#26 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

This page is intentionally left blank

#27 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

What's the Menier restaurant like?  Has anyone done one of their ticket/meal deals?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#28 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Alas, I can't speak from experience, but I've often longed to eat there when seeing a show and have cast envious glances at diners and gluttonous ones at the menu.  Another place which is not aimed at solo diners.  

On this subject, I used always to eat out alone before an evening play or show, but the attitude of others eventually wore me down.  And even at the theatre itself I might as well be a member of an endangered species.  Where are all the other women who visit the theatre alone?  (I deliberately don't say "single women" as I'm not one; my partner just attends very rarely.)  There don't even seem to be that many men who go alone, but I feel (and obviously this is just my perception) that they are ignored or accepted whereas I am regarded as an object of curiosity or pity.

#29 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 11 January 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

Interesting interpretation of my post. But I can see you've never tried to combine a visit to the NFt with actually seeing a film.

#30 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

View Postmallardo, on 11 January 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

What's the Menier restaurant like?  Has anyone done one of their ticket/meal deals?

Very nice. Good value, excellent service! Quite nice simple fare...not much choice so look at what is offered first! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users