#31 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

View Postfringefan, on 11 January 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

Alas, I can't speak from experience, but I've often longed to eat there when seeing a show and have cast envious glances at diners and gluttonous ones at the menu.  Another place which is not aimed at solo diners.  

On this subject, I used always to eat out alone before an evening play or show, but the attitude of others eventually wore me down.  And even at the theatre itself I might as well be a member of an endangered species.  Where are all the other women who visit the theatre alone?  (I deliberately don't say "single women" as I'm not one; my partner just attends very rarely.)  There don't even seem to be that many men who go alone, but I feel (and obviously this is just my perception) that they are ignored or accepted whereas I am regarded as an object of curiosity or pity.

Come on....just brave it out! I do regularly! I have found everywhere quite open to single dinners and just take a play to read when I am not eating! I do find the service can be a bit quick so my meal tends to proceed quite quickly! Just smile and enjoy yourself and remember that no-one rally cares what you are doing...they are all too busy being concerned about their own lives!

#32 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

On this subject, I used always to eat out alone before an evening play or show, but the attitude of others eventually wore me down.  And even at the theatre itself I might as well be a member of an endangered species.  Where are all the other women who visit the theatre alone?  (I deliberately don't say "single women" as I'm not one; my partner just attends very rarely.)  There don't even seem to be that many men who go alone, but I feel (and obviously this is just my perception) that they are ignored or accepted whereas I am regarded as an object of curiosity or pity.

Well i'm one. Re eating i'd usually have done it before i got to the theatre as if it's mid week i've come from work on the train and munch my homemade squashed sandwiches on route and acutally probably the same if it's a weekend to save money. I've ended up on the floor a few times at the national as it obviously gets busy and i am generally too shy to ask people if a seat is free. I can't say i really notice many people on their own as people always seem to be in couples or families but from here it's obvious that people do go a lot on their own so maybe i'm just not good at looking. In truth i probably am always scouting out the quietest toilet or fastest exit route so i'm not paying a lot of attention. I think the only time i've ever felt an object of something like pity is when i've attempted to start a conversation with someone else and have picked someone who is horrifed that i, a stranger have spoken to them and then look at you with something perhaps like pity as you are on your own. That or fear that you're going to tag onto them perhaps. I have spoken to more friendly people however, they are around if you strike lucky.

That all said i'm meeting Latecomer and Beth tomorrow for lunch before we end of to different plays and that has made the whole theatre expereince so much richer and as i'm with other people i feel it is ok to buy lunch and not pick the crumbs out of my bag.

#33 Angram

Angram

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Where are all the other women who visit the theatre alone?
Another one here! I've never felt conspicuous as a lone female at the theatre (though strangely I would never think of going to the cinema on my own) and find that having lunch at the theatre, or somewhere like a museum or gallery cafe, is preferable to eating alone in a "normal" restaurant.

#34 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

View Postmallardo, on 11 January 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

What's the Menier restaurant like?  Has anyone done one of their ticket/meal deals?

Yes. Good value and perfectly acceptable.

#35 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

I also feel perfectly happy (and actually much prefer) going to the theatre alone, eating out alone, going to the pub alone, going on holiday alone, etc - I'm naturally a bit anti-social! I don't feel conspicuous but I've been doing it since I was a teenager, so it's just the norm for me. I've never felt that people are looking at me but even if they were I wouldn't really care. The only time I feel slightly uncomfortable is in crowded restaurants where I'm taking a table two people could share, so I try to avoid that if poss.

#36 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostAbby, on 12 January 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

The only time I feel slightly uncomfortable is in crowded restaurants where I'm taking a table two people could share, so I try to avoid that if poss.

Oh, I don't let that bother me :) I figure that if they didn't want to seat me there they would tell me they were fully booked. I've never found a restaurant that objects to one person taking up a table for two - I guess unlike many theatre booking systems they realise there is a large market :)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#37 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostAbby, on 12 January 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

I also feel perfectly happy (and actually much prefer) going to the theatre alone, eating out alone, going to the pub alone, going on holiday alone, etc - I'm naturally a bit anti-social! I don't feel conspicuous but I've been doing it since I was a teenager, so it's just the norm for me. I've never felt that people are looking at me but even if they were I wouldn't really care. The only time I feel slightly uncomfortable is in crowded restaurants where I'm taking a table two people could share, so I try to avoid that if poss.

Yes, going to the theatre alone I prefer, because I'm not worrying about what my friend thinks, or if I'm there with my grandad, not distracted by checking if he's gone to sleep, as he sometimes does(!). Also, I'm in control and can run for the train or whatever, and not have to wait for people to play catch up. But then I do miss the train journey conversations! When I am at the theatre on my own, as I often do, I don't go to a restaurant- mainly to save money. That said, I have, on occasion, gone to Wagamama or Spud on my own and felt perfectly comfortable, but they are places which don't have separate tables, or in Spud's (and the NT cafeteria's) case, are self service.

#38 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 12 January 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Yes, going to the theatre alone I prefer, because I'm not worrying about what my friend thinks, or if I'm there with my grandad, not distracted by checking if he's gone to sleep, as he sometimes does(!). Also, I'm in control and can run for the train or whatever, and not have to wait for people to play catch up. But then I do miss the train journey conversations!

Yep i know what you mean PN2 and agree. The best thing i think is going with similar theatre mad people who you don't feel responsible for liking it what you're seeing and they're all clued up about the possible transport issues. I have been known to evesdrop people's conversations on the trains home when occasionally it turns out they've been to the same thing as me.

Oh and i was solo at Privates on Parade today and have lovely chat with lady sat next to me, me flapping around while my coat got stuck in seat broke the ice nicely.

#39 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

View Postpeggs, on 12 January 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Oh and i was solo at Privates on Parade today and have lovely chat with lady sat next to me, me flapping around while my coat got stuck in seat broke the ice nicely.

Funny that, I had a v nice conversation with my neighbour at Privates on Parade back in December, who, being in the good £10 dress circle seats, was also a regular theatregoer. You can be honest to them about what you think, whereas if you're with a friend who goes to the theatre only occasionally, you just nod and say it was v good. I don't dare tell them I thought it was cr*p, esp if I was the one who suggested them coming, and sorted the tix etc.

#40 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

If you are a lover of Italian cuisine I would personally recommend the restaurant Little Sicily on Rupert Street, which is literally a minute from both the Queen's and Gielgud theatres and just 5 minutes away from the Palace. It is quite pricey though, with the pasta mains between £12-£16 and the meat being, as they often are, a bit higher still at around £14-£21 (the swordfish is the most expensive at £21).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users