#41 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 12 January 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

Funny that, I had a v nice conversation with my neighbour at Privates on Parade back in December, who, being in the good £10 dress circle seats, was also a regular theatregoer. You can be honest to them about what you think, whereas if you're with a friend who goes to the theatre only occasionally, you just nod and say it was v good. I don't dare tell them I thought it was cr*p, esp if I was the one who suggested them coming, and sorted the tix etc.
That is true you can probably track down the regulars if they're in seats you had to buy way in advance or you have to know are worth it despite being marked restricted etc - then much simper to talk truthfully to and you can play the did you see that game which never fail to entertain.

#42 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Another regular solo theatre-goer here! I will also eat out on my own pre-theatre, despite the occasional pitying look (and one 'aww bless you' from a woman at the next table who clearly couldn't conceive of going anywhere on her own! More fool her!).

#43 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

There's that veggie place round the corner from the Donmar. Yummy crumble when they have it. V filling food, not particularly cheap but wholesome. Difficult to find seat in cramped basement. Sounds terrible doesn't it but actually tonight got me through the two hours of Julius Caesar.

#44 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

'Food for Thought'? yeah, really good- just get there early so you can grab a seat!

#45 timbo

timbo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Can anybody recommend a restaurant in Victoria? Going to see Billy Elliot tomorrow evening and will need to have something to eat first. Thanks.

#46 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

If you're happy with chains, the new mall (Victoria Plaza) to the north of the station has a few, e.g. Wagamama, Zizzi and Browns.  Think there's also a Nando's.  My sister and I ate at the Wagamama before a show and service was very swift and efficient.  Or there's a Giraffe on Wilton Road.

#47 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

There's a great Turkish place called Kazan a few minutes walk away - not that cheap though.

A bit further away (about 10 minutes walk) but great if you have the time is Chimes Of Pimlico. Really good value and great pies!

#48 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 12 January 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

Another regular solo theatre-goer here! I will also eat out on my own pre-theatre, despite the occasional pitying look (and one 'aww bless you' from a woman at the next table who clearly couldn't conceive of going anywhere on her own! More fool her!).

Nowt wrong with solo theatre going.

I did one of those lunch and a matinee deals a few years ago and was the only person in the restaurant and sat there eating my lunch whilst being watched by about 10 staff, that was slightly odd.
Which way did he go McGill?

#49 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Of course there's nowt wrong with solo eating or theatregoing - as I told the patronising woman who felt compelled to disturb my meal (and my book) with her pity, I wouldn't see half the things I do if I had to organize a companion every time for fear of spending a few hours on my own!

#50 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

100% in favour of solo theatre-going; less keen on the solo dining issue, but I have given it a good try.  Plus, as a previous poster mentioned,  there's the cost to consider and I can't afford both at present anyway, so tickets take priority.  But when I do eat out alone pre-theatre, I agree that Wagamama is a safe bet:  speedy, reasonably-priced and staff don't bat an eyelid if you say you're on your own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users