#51 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 13 January 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Of course there's nowt wrong with solo eating or theatregoing - as I told the patronising woman who felt compelled to disturb my meal (and my book) with her pity, I wouldn't see half the things I do if I had to organize a companion every time for fear of spending a few hours on my own!
can't believe someone actually thought it was ok to interupt you to show their pity, how patronising. Do you think she was in league with those daft theatre chains that won't let you buy a single ticket and then leave a single seat behind as there are no single people. We are clearly a myth.

#52 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Since they introduced the single seat restriction I have to admit to taking great delight in trying to only book seats that have 3 seats available either side just to really annoy everyone else! :angry:  ;)
Which way did he go McGill?

#53 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Totally bonkers idea the 'can't leave an odd seat' thing. Why bring it it now?  People have been going to the theatre for a good many years ..

#54 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

I don't have QuincyMD's IT skills or I'd do the same; I find booking a single ticket tough enough when up against this sort of restriction.  But if enough of us rebelled in this way, presumably theatres would give up and abandon this discriminatory practice.  Fancy preventing potential customers from buying your product!

#55 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

How about booking say four seats with spaces in between?

#56 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

OK, over to you to explain how...!

#57 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

Most ridiculous single-seat policy effect I came across was at the Harold Pinter theatre, where it was impossible to book the 10 behind-the-pillar seats online if there was an empty seat next to them - because, of course, the seat next to them is a different price band. You literally couldn't select both of them at once.

They've hopefully fixed that now - I did point it out to the box office staff.

#58 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

View Postfringefan, on 15 January 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

OK, over to you to explain how...!

On theatre or show sites that allow you to select your own seat you can see which seats have and have not been sold - if they dont allow me to pick a single seat I'll always try to pick a seat that leaves an odd number on at least one side.

Its my petty act of rebellion that then means they have to find a group of 3 or 5 to sell the seats to as I've not left them the option of being able to sell 2 then 1 etc.
Which way did he go McGill?

#59 Laineee

Laineee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I have found that some websites (especially ATG) no longer allow even leaving 3 seats, often making it nigh on impossible to select good seats no matter whether you are booking a single seat or a group.

#60 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

On Saturday, we found this wonderful little place called Fernandez and Wells, which seem to do special meats and cheeses and very nice coffees, and some large platters of such.  It's probably ten minutes off Shaftesbury Avenue.  I had a plate of extremely nice beef which was less than a fiver.  I think the bigger, more meal-y things would be good too, and I don't think anything was more than £10.  A lovely tiny place with really fab food.

I'm going to the Harold Comedy Theatre with a friend on Saturday, and as we're making a double bill of it we'll need to eat something relatively big in between.  Does anyone know anywhere nice, close and relatively cheap?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users