61 replies to this topic

#61 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

The Pinter is on Panton street, which is crammed with good (and cheap) eateries. There's Stockpot and West End Kitchen (google them, they all have websites), a Spanish place which does 3 courses for less than a tenner (sorry, can't remember the name, but again, google 'Spanish Restaurant Panton' and you should find something). Also Woodlands is directly opposite the theatre- vegetarian Indian. Quite expensive in the evenings, but you can get a bit platter (a Thali) which includes a pudding I think. And then either in Leicester Square  or the Haymarket, both less than 5 mins away, there's my old favourite, Wagamama- big portions and good value.

#62 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Nicholas, on 04 February 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

On Saturday, we found this wonderful little place called Fernandez and Wells, which seem to do special meats and cheeses and very nice coffees, and some large platters of such.  It's probably ten minutes off Shaftesbury Avenue.  I had a plate of extremely nice beef which was less than a fiver.  I think the bigger, more meal-y things would be good too, and I don't think anything was more than £10.  A lovely tiny place with really fab food.
You must mean the St Anne's Court one. I like them too, and they do superb proper coffee. There's a larger one in (I think) Lexington Street and also the courtyard at Somerset House.

In the West End I like the Vietnamese at the lower end of Wardour St, just by the junction with Shaftesbury Ave, also Wahaca (Mexican street food, cheap small plates) further up Wardour St and another one near Covent Gdn (didn't like the South Bank pop-up one though), further up still is Côte, reasonably priced French. A good post-matinee dinner one (perhaps not pre-evening, might cut it too fine) is Andrew Edmunds on Lexington St in Soho, easy to miss with its unassuming frontage and absence of its name, just a hand-scrawled menu. In nearby D'Arblay St is the Breakfast Club for hearty fried food and salads/sandwiches big enough to be a reasonably priced dinner; it's always my breakfast destination after dayseat queueing - a full monty or an All-American and I don't need any lunch.

South Bank, The Cut is handy, e.g. the aforementioned Tas, also Meson Don Felipe for excellent tapas, Noodle Culture for cheap fast and pretty good Chinese. The Young Vic bar restaurant can be good too. The Waterloo Bar & Kitchen around the corner from the Old Vic is excellent, pricier than the ones I just mentioned but not by much, and the staff are great.

I really like Lower Marsh, the street behind the station, there are some nice places along there. The greasy spoon caff that does Thai food is good; Greensmiths does reasonably priced meals and has a very pleasant shop and butchers; the Olympic Cafe is a very basic formica table sort of Chinese place but cheap and not too bad (unlicensed as is the Thai). I've heard good things about curry place Ruby Marsh, and South American place Cubana, haven't tried them. If you want a drink or a decent coffee or a hot chocolate thick and rich and luscious enough to eat (I literally do spoon it out), try Scooters, its name isn't up but it has a big scooter in the window. Snug ground-floor and basement areas, a bit scuzzy with mismatching furniture, one or two female staff with fashion-model looks. It's my perfect place. And you might get to meet Bob the cat, though she's (for she is a girl) usually dozing on one of the seats.

On the S Bank itself, I'll go to Pizza Express if I have a craving for an Etna, their tastiest offering I reckon. Haven't been to the NT Mezzanine for a while, used to generally like it. The Lyttleton buffet can be good as mentioned. Re the BFI, I gave up on their eateries. I wasn't impressed by the Benugo restaurant, thought it was overpriced and found the staff unfriendly. Then again, the RFH sandwiches were hysterically priced and the staff downright miserable, as of a few years ago when I stopped eating there. I like Yo Sushi but sitting by that conveyor belt the plates and price can stack up pretty quickly. The crispy salmon skin is lovely though.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users