14 replies to this topic

#1 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

I was highly amused by the banner advert I just got on the main page and the forum:

"Good at sport? You could be cut out for a career in construction!"

At the risk of stereotyping, have they ever met anyone who posts on a theatre messageboard??  :)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#2 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

The new banner ads - all work from the cache on your computer and pull the best advert suited to you from your computers browser history...so I think it says more about you ;-)
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#3 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

View Postxanderl, on 10 January 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

I was highly amused by the banner advert I just got on the main page and the forum:

"Good at sport? You could be cut out for a career in construction!"

At the risk of stereotyping, have they ever met anyone who posts on a theatre messageboard??  :)
    Your first post since I have joined the board that I don't like. How patronising. Yeah, that say's something about me. Shame that.

#4 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Talking of adverts, I'm getting a bit fed up with those pop up ones on the home page.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#5 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2530 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 10 January 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

The new banner ads - all work from the cache on your computer and pull the best advert suited to you from your computers browser history...so I think it says more about you ;-)

That's set me speculating what banner ads regular posters get.,,

#6 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2530 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

I've just had flights to Mexico, flights to New York and purchasing a new car. There is zero chance of my doing any of these options, so I wonder what the alternatives could have been that were deemed unsuited to me.

#7 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

View Posttheatreliker, on 10 January 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Talking of adverts, I'm getting a bit fed up with those pop up ones on the home page.

Agreed, very irritating

#8 Angram

Angram

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 11 January 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

That's set me speculating what banner ads regular posters get.,,
Mine's for Wiltshire Farm Foods....which is slightly worrying

#9 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2530 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Please could a moderator or some other knowledgeable person clarify exactly which ads are the personailsed banner ads. I've only just noticed that there are two different ads - one at the very top of the page, which I assumed was a "banner ad" but which seems to have no relevance to me or my browser history, and one at the bottom of the first post on the page, which I wouldn't think is a "banner ad" but which does seem a little closer to my browsing trail. I'm intrigued now!

Two or three years ago I was involved in persuading someone to become a regular client of Wiltshire Farm Foods and only yesterday they cropped up in phone conversation but I've been spared their ads on my WoS pc.

#10 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 11 January 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

Please could a moderator or some other knowledgeable person clarify exactly which ads are the personailsed banner ads. I've only just noticed that there are two different ads - one at the very top of the page, which I assumed was a "banner ad" but which seems to have no relevance to me or my browser history, and one at the bottom of the first post on the page, which I wouldn't think is a "banner ad" but which does seem a little closer to my browsing trail. I'm intrigued now!

Inspection of the page source reveals that both advertisements come from the same server, so I'd imagine that both are based on your previous visits to other sites that use the same advertising supplier.

I generally find that personalised advertising misses the mark completely in my case. Sometimes it's because my browsing history doesn't match up with a product terribly well: there's not much you can sell based on half a day's research into the courtship rituals of the scimitar-horned oryx. But most of the time it's because they're sending advertising for things I've already dealt with and no longer have an interest in, such as the washing machine I've already bought or the Blu-ray I already own. I can't remember the last time I saw a personalised ad that made me think "actually, that's worth a look", whereas that happened fairly regularly before advertisers decided to start data mining.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users