#11 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostMatthew Winn, on 12 January 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

Inspection of the page source reveals that both advertisements come from the same server, so I'd imagine that both are based on your previous visits to other sites that use the same advertising supplier.

I generally find that personalised advertising misses the mark completely in my case. Sometimes it's because my browsing history doesn't match up with a product terribly well: there's not much you can sell based on half a day's research into the courtship rituals of the scimitar-horned oryx. But most of the time it's because they're sending advertising for things I've already dealt with and no longer have an interest in, such as the washing machine I've already bought or the Blu-ray I already own. I can't remember the last time I saw a personalised ad that made me think "actually, that's worth a look", whereas that happened fairly regularly before advertisers decided to start data mining.

It is also annoying when I have bought presents for teenage girls or husband has bought new bumper for the Morris MInor and it persists for years in trying to sell me Dr Martens or car spares!

#12 glossie

glossie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Well, I don't get any Banner ads! Not sure what that says about me.....

Unless maybe it's because I have a pop-up stopper?

#13 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

I've recently been getting banners for airlines and Las Vegas hotels - which makes a sort of sense.   It's still pretty creepy to know that one's purchases and lifestyle are being so intensely monitored.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#14 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

American Airlines & MBNA credit card. Maybe I could get a card & book a flight to the US!

#15 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I'm exactly the same as Matthew Winn - I'll spend a few hours researching something I need, decide what to get and buy it, and the next day there'll be banner ads for the thing I just bought on every site I visit.

I find it quite amusing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users