34 replies to this topic

#1 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

First preview was last night. Anyone going this week?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#2 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Yes.  Will report back.

#3 smithers

smithers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, music, politics

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Going next Saturday.

#4 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

It's not really that good....too many themes recycled from "That Face" and "Tusk Tusk".....

I am tending to think (after previously and only recently being quite distressed by the same prospect) that it really is the right time for Dominic Cook to leave the RC as much of what is on here is becoming all too repetitive and similar..it often feels like more of the same and too many playwrights are mollycoddled through their first few plays..and given too many airings within a short space of time.....it gets tedious for audience regulars if they know what to expect..and not just familiarity, but when it becomes predictable it also becomes boring...the venue sometimes seems like a roll call of too many identical themes and ideas.....we don't want to nurture a new generation of Alan Bennett clones who then just offer the same old themes in the same old way for the coming 50 years!

There were funny bits in this, but it was all too self reverential for my liking....and Tom Sturridge is typecast in pretty much the same role he played in "Punk Rock" (though that was a far superior play). He has this annoying way of talking like he has had a stroke....

"No Quarter" only superficially touches on themes of mental illness and spends too much time procrastinating about not very much....I am a doctor and was intrigued to see this play is "supported by the Royal College of Psychiatrists"
The cynical part of me reckons they just wanted the chance to jump into the back pocket of a prestigious arts organisation, as the "medical" content (even using that in the loosest sense of the phrase) was scanty at best.....it made "The Effect" seem like PhD material in comparison!

The acting was fine, and the set is WONDERFUL...truly so!

I thought it really dragged though...same themes as many of her previous plays mirrored here

Having said that Polly Stenham seemed to have loads of friends in tonight and they all seemed to love it!

And I have to say, Tusk Tusk was one of the best things I have EVER seen in the JTU...even now it makes me quiver thinking about it..you win some, you lose some...

#5 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Vicky Featherstone says in this week's Independent interview that she expects there to be strong continuity (I paraphrase) at the Royal Court when she takes over from Dominic Cooke. http://www.independe...ng-8441751.html

#6 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Anyone have the running time? Thank you very much.

#7 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

1H50M
Straight through

#8 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

View PostParsley, on 13 January 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

1H50M
Straight through

Many thanks. Will probably get to see it tomorrow, if I am sucessful with day tickets.

#9 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Oh dear, another relatively short play and on the very day when I took a chance and paired a matinee of this with a slightly later start for an evening play.  Still, I might even be able to squeeze a film into the gap!

#10 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

There is some excellent "theming" as you arrive in JTU.....a bit like they did for "The Acid Test"

I must say, the set really impressed me when I entered.....

Hope you enjoy the play more than I did!

Also tagged with Royal Court Upstairs, Polly Stenham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users