34 replies to this topic

#11 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

The Royal Court is on a roll with no interval plays. Matinees start v late- 3.30pm - so I won't have that much waiting around for my evening show, which I think will be Quartermaine's Terms; 2 plays with Quarter in the title.... don't get that often!

#12 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hmmm ... now I'm wondering if there are any other current opportunities for double bills where the second show starts with the last word of the first show.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#13 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

..... and immediately I answer my own question with The Judas Kiss and Kiss Me Kate :P

#14 Theatrebunny

Theatrebunny

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Does 1hr 50 feel like a long time to sit through without a break or does it go quickly?

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Just sat two hours thu the Julius Caesar at the Donmar - it flew by! But usually 1.50 would be the limit. I speak for myself of course.

#16 Nosferatu777

Nosferatu777

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostTheatrebunny, on 14 January 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

Does 1hr 50 feel like a long time to sit through without a break or does it go quickly?

I thought the first act dragged terribly (to the point of being boring) but Stenham really hits her stride after that and the play flies past once more interesting and charismatic actors were added. Can't say it felt like it needed to have a break at all personally, I found it quite engrossing once it found its feet.

#17 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Interesting to read the reviews, I particularly liked the 1 star review a user wrote this morning but seemed to have been removed? I'd love to know if it was removed by the author or the website, maybe because it criticised Coveney?

#18 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Interesting also to see that all the actual critics gave this 3 star reviews whilst Coveney has been rather over generous!

I just read that other excellent critic in the ES...she also thought it warranted 5 stars

:lol:

#19 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

If anyone is able to get to Sloane Square this evening, there are some tickets on sale on the Royal Court website for tonight's performance

#20 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Enjoyed this a lot although unlike nosferatu I preferred the first act! Amazing set, I was on the front row and felt in danger of people landing on me at some points

Worth sitting against the back wall if you can rather than the two facing sides - I think you would miss some stuff that happens on the upper level

I hope though this is the last play for a while about rich bohemian idiots bickering about their deceased parents delapitaded houses

Also tagged with Royal Court Upstairs, Polly Stenham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users