34 replies to this topic

#31 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I've only seen That Face and Unrelated. They had very different vibes. The Stenham was a bit like Noel Coward, stagey and artificial, and the Hogg was a bit like Michael Winterbottom, realistic and a touch improvisatory. I enjoyed both.

#32 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

View Postxanderl, on 21 January 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

I was there too - was Booth the chap that came in with the guy from Jerusalem and Three Sisters?

Good call on Archipelago - Unrelated is fantastic too

Yes, tallish guy with a beard. I thought I recognised the big chap too - of course, Jerusalem!

#33 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I didn't like it that much, the set is wonderful but the rest is just ok - the writing is not very good and I couldn't get any connection to any caracter. And Tom Sturridge' acting didn't convince me at all - alone the way he talks I find annoying. And finally - what was that really about?
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#34 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3746 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

The trouble with this play is we've heard it all before, recently too. Love Love Love, The Last of the Haussmans,and Old Money were all along the same theme of attacking the baby boomer generation, where the younger generations are left to clear up the mess. But Polly Stenham doesn't bring anything new to it.

The first three-quarters of the play is great, even if it takes a touch of time to get going. It's fun and quirky. But then Stenham realises she needs to make a point, and so ends with a didactic scene between the two brothers - one an MP, the other a bohemian drug addict - to give us her mini-thesis. And it's rather worthy and repetitive, though I do think if you haven't seen the aforementioned plays, you would get more out of it. No Quarter suffers in the light of those.

Jeremy Herrin, as usual, directs a strong production, with an excellent evocative design by Tom Scutt. And I thought it was rather well acted; Tom Sturridge impressed me very much - it's a role which could, I think, be quite easily over done - and Joshua James and Zoe Boyle are perfect as the over-loving 'posh' twins.

I've came to this not having seen Tusk Tusk and That Face. I gather they were on very similar lines?

#35 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

That Face had Doctor Who in a nightie peeing on a bed
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

Also tagged with Royal Court Upstairs, Polly Stenham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users