43 replies to this topic

#1 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Forgive me if there is already a thread discussing this. So Les Miserables seems to be a big money making success and I guess producers and film companies will be falling over themselves to make more now. What do you reckon should be the next stage to screen transfer? I've been thinking about it and other than Miss Saigon and Wicked I can't think of any that would be any good and super popular.

#2 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

It obviously wouldn't be a big-budget thing, so it's maybe not entirely right for the subject of this thread, but I've always thought someone should attempt to make a movie version of Blood Brothers (am I correct in thinking it hasn't been done already?)

#3 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

ooh yeah that could work! Maybe in a british indie film kind of way. They would probably have to use kids though as I don't think the adults playing boys thing would work as well on film.

#4 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I'd like to see Miss Saigon as a film

#5 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

miss saigon is the most cinematic of all.modern musicals id say. although its no where near as big as les mis in the wider public mind.

sunset needs to be done even if dvd ala cats etc

blood brothers could work

wicked im not sure how it would work on film. could go either way

im not sure there are that many shows that would really work as a movie. thet need to be big mega hits that everyone has heard of  and there arnt too many of those

#6 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

There's been a bit of talk over the years that Alan Parker would/wanted to direct Blood Brothers.

He should do another musical.  He did a great job of Evita.

#7 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Saigon is the obvious choice, it just screams cinema, even more than Les Mis. Wicked is another obvious choice I think.

Blood Brothers I'd like to see, but think it would probably end up feeling too dated, score-wise.

I think a production of Avenue Q should be filmed. Go full on Seasame Street style with it. But doubt that'll happen.

I'd love to see Matilda get turned into a feature film, think that could work very well, especially if it takes off on Broadway.

#8 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

I think they wrote a screenplay for Blood Brothers, but want a big budget for it.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#9 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Willy Russel does say in the touring programmes that he had written a screenplay for Blood Brothers with Alan Parker years ago. The idea was that they write a screenplay that they wanted to make. What they do have in mind though is a big budget musical. Alan Parker does want to make the picture.

There was something going around about a My Fair Lady remake with Carey Mulligan

An Annie remake with Willow Smith :unsure:

Into the Woods. Produced by Walt Disney and directed by Rob Marshall. Meryl Streep as the Witch and James Corden as the Baker. A reading of the screenplay happened last October

(Now going into the realms of Wikipedia and IMDb)
Jesus Christ Superstar
Damn Yankees
Valley Girl
A Star is Born (Hollywood being original as ever)
Spring Awakening
Wicked
The color purple
Follies
Jersey Boys
Lucky Stiff
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#10 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members