43 replies to this topic

#11 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

I think it was going to be Cate Blanchett for Mrs Johnson and Bono as the narrator for the Blood Brothers movie. I personally would love to see a Blood Brothers movie but I think it would be better as a British film with a smaller budget than a huge Hollywood blockbuster as it would be better at portraying the back street sort of Liverpudlian poverty. It would be interesting seeing it with ACTUAL child actors. But I think the downside would be (as pointed out when the west end run ended) that a film or any sort of recording would stop schools visiting the UK tour, or unless Kenwright decides to tour it more rarely now (which I hope he doesn't!). Plus one of the huge pulls of the show is the dramatic plot that most the audience wouldn't expect.

This might be a bit unlikely as it isn't as popular on stage (and it hasn't even been in the west end yet!) but I'd love to see a Jekyll and Hyde movie, just as long as it isn't another Tim Burton/Jobnny Depp/Helena Bonham Carter collaboration.

Also I remember reading an article somewhere that Jerry Springer would play himself in a movie of Jerry Springer - The Opera, but obviously that wouldn't happen now with Christian protests. Plus it wouldn't really work anyway.

#12 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Great possibilities there, would love to see Into the Woods, I suppose Sweeney proved that Joe public can get on board with Sondheim. How many Annie movies do we need? I still really like Alan Cummings in that second one. Speaking of Alan Cummings, how about a cabaret movie as the existing movie is quite different to the stage show?

I agree that Miss Saigon is crying out to be a film, I'd love to see Luke Evans as Chris in it, one of the rare west end to hollywood success stories (even if he has made some bad movie career choices). Saw him in Taboo and oddly caught him going on for Brian in Avenue Q when he was understudy there, I think he's a very good actor and singer.

#13 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

I'd like to Sunset Blvd. done, not perhaps as a film, because I don't think it's got the box office potential.  But I'd like to see it filmed for television broadcast in a complex package.... big screenings before broadcast to create buzz.... something like a Royal Albert Hall venue... then sold out commercially to like a PBS or something and then the DVD marketed.  

With a cautious budget, I think there's a place for musicals to be made and sold profitably... but I don't think the margins for most would sustain a big budget production.  Phantom should have and didn't.  Whatever you made of the performances, my opinion is the theatre going world isn't large enough to deliver the profits so it has to appeal to a mass market... given the success of the musical, it should have been a slam dunk as a film and pffft.  Yet Les Mis is chugging along really well it seems.  

I am skeptical stage productions generally translate well to the screen.  Theatre is such a unique experience.  It's about the performance, less about the world around it... you consider the intensity of see Les Mis and then think about the simplicity of the set and staging.  Look at how well the Phantom plays on stage and think of the money it cost to recreate it properly for film.. and the outcome.

I'm vested.  I love musicals.  I'd like to see them preserved once the West End or Broadway goes dark on them.  Be so nice on the right rainy or winter night to settle down with one of your favourites.  I'd hate to see film box office as a barrier to access.  Of everything right now, I can see Wicked as a blockbuster and probably Jersey Boys.  I hate to say it but I think the era for musicals as a viable big budget film has largely passed.  

Then again, if Mackintosh does forge ahead with a film of Miss Saigon and it works, maybe there's a truth and money to be made in the emerging silver market as the boomers get older.  I read an article that says they aren't as keen for things exploding constantly, hence the success of movies like The King's Speech and the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.  But those movies succeeded by making impressive returns on very, very small budget.  I was shocked to learn they made if for 15 million pounds.  I didn't think you could do a video for YouTube for fifteen million pounds.  Well, you follow..

#14 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Avenue Q probably would be tricky as a movie. I suppose the problem with "musical comedies" is that they can't always be changed or adapted that well. An example would probably be that I made the mistake of seeing the 2005 Producers movie before I saw it on stage, has they are pretty much the same with a few songs cut here and there.

I do remember reading about We Will Rock You being made into a movie, I suppose to follow to success of Mamma Mia! Again I'm not too sure about this as the story line is obviously a flaw and it requires more audience participation (ie clapping along to the title song) and the pop culture references. And overall the show feels more like a rock concert than a musical so I'm not sure how it would be portrayed on stage.

#15 spendleb

spendleb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Sure' In the Heights' has already been announced?    Also there was talk about Spring Awakening at some point.

#16 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Doesn't this question come up every time there is a successful movie musical?

"Now Evita is a hit, there are bound to be more movie musicals"

"As Chicago is such a success studios will want to film more musicals"

Yet in reality nothing groundbreaking happens!  A few shows will be filmed, some for cinema, some for video.  Some will be OK, some won't.  Then in a few years there'll be a big hit movie musical and people will say it's the start of a movie musical revival... again!

To quote Les Mis: "Nothing changes, nothing ever will".

#17 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

I think the 2008 Menier production of A Little Night Music would have made a great film. I know there's been an ALNM film already, but it wasn't as great as it should have been (although I appear to be one of the very few people who still enjoy it!).

As excited as I am about an Into the Woods film - and I'm very excited about it - I think it would really suit a Tim Burton-style animation (like Corpse Bride and Nightmare Before Christmas).
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#18 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

I think Miss Saigon would need a similar if not larger budget than Les Mis just because of its setting and do scenes like the Fall of Saigon, I'm sure they'd be able to film in in Vietnam or use places like Thailand, The Philippines or Singapore.

Wicked will happen but probably not for a few more years although after the success of Mamma Mia! and Les Mis, Universal will want to greenlight the film ASAP.

#19 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

I think they've learned too that if it's a good property a film version doesn't harm the stage version.  In fact I gather Les Mis is playing to full houses again at present, one assumes in part because of the movie.

#20 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Les Mis - had a sudden resurge post 25th Anniversary - alongside an incredible ticket price hike and a loss of student/day seats.
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users