15 replies to this topic

#1 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Does anyone know what will feature in the new season from April-July 2013....?

Booking is supposed to open tomorrow for orange members but have no clue as to what I am booking for?

#2 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

A few things on the website - I think I clicked onto Jan-April, and it just goes on.  Fräulein Julie from the Berlin Schaubühne directed by Katie  Mitchell, Theatre-Rites' Bank on it, which will be somewhere in East London and is for those aged 5+, Circa and I Fagiolini How Like an Angel and the Oxford Samuel Beckett Theatre Trust Award winners Davy and Kiristin McGuire's The Paper Architect.  All very multi-disciplinary.

#3 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Yes

Just booked for Katie Mitchell and Paper Architect

They are odd at the Barbican.. got the e mail literally an hour before the booking opened....not that there is a great rush at the Barbican....but still nice to have a look at what is coming up a few days in advance!

#4 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostWhenindisgrace, on 14 January 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

Fräulein Julie from the Berlin Schaubühne directed by Katie  Mitchell.

Ha ha. She's almost beyond parody isn't she.

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

It does seem a bit soon after the Barbican's last foreign language Miss Julie in September!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#6 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

View Postxanderl, on 14 January 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

It does seem a bit soon after the Barbican's last foreign language Miss Julie in September!

Yeah but was that one set in 1930s Berlin ? The ballgowns, the old gramaphone ....

#7 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

With all those servants there's plenty of scope for people carrying chairs around while walking slowly backwards.

I think I'll give this one a miss but go for Frøken Julie starring Sofie Gråbøl which I'm sure the Barbican will put on soon.

#8 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm enjoying your speculations, and I quite understand how your past encounters have provoked them, but this is in fact the 2010 production which has been thoroughly written about and is on one of KM's different exploratory paths. Live video of action not otherwise visible to the audience.

#9 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Ah yes, action not visible to the audience being another Mitchellism :)

#10 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 14 January 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

I'm enjoying your speculations, and I quite understand how your past encounters have provoked them, but this is in fact the 2010 production which has been thoroughly written about and is on one of KM's different exploratory paths. Live video of action not otherwise visible to the audience.

Ah, I see, part of the same strand that brought us that little video installation about Ophelia at the NT, the homage to Peter Greenaway. Somehow she is such an old-fashioned director, all that expressionistic Fritz Lang stuff.

Her Xmas show didn't sell very well at the NT this year as far as I could see, people tired with her frightening the children I suppose, plus a hard job to sell Hansel and Gretel to boys in the 7+ age bracket as was apparently intended - again, it struck me as a very 1950's idea, KM perpetually looking back to her own middle-class childhood instead of forward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users