8 replies to this topic

#1 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Such fun! Go and see it if you want some silly 1950's fun. The venue is lovely, great cast,  its sung without amplification and you can hear every word. Joy and raputure all round as the gowns come from Gusset Creations and stars a magic paino that makes you dance and gay <_<

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#2 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Totally agree. I went to see it 2 years ago and fell in love with it. This revival's cast are no less fantastic (several of them stayed to my joy).

So silly and so wonderful, is this musical.

#3 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I was sat near the band and quite often I really struggled to hear over it, especially with the traverse staging meaning when I had backs to me it was even worse, really surprised that no one involved in the production at any time realised this. The venue was larger than a lot of smaller fringe venues, that have microphones for musicals. And for the record I am still (relatively) young and have perfectly good hearing!

#4 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I am currently on a fringe musical done in traverse, and we use mics due to the issues you describe above. It is fine for the people who sit away from the band or have the singer singing at them, but if they have their back to you it becomes very difficult to hear entirely. And those by the band barely stand a chance.

#5 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

I heard perfectly but I was sat at the far end away from the band! I enjoyed this - the style required I felt came easier to the older members of the cast. A silly piece, a series of scetches almost but with lovely, catchy melodies and in this production accompanied by witty choreography.

#6 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I too was sat in the same spot as Wickedgrin and as reported had no problems sound wise.  Even when actors faced the other way.
As spaces go it’s LARGE but SD was well designed and fitted in snuggly and was rather intimate. I’d be interested to see how other pieces compare in the space – geek theatre alert!

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#7 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Saw this yesterday and loved it from start to finish. Like Wickedgrin & Reich we were sitting at the opposite end to the band and it was so refreshing to hear unamplified voices. The two leads (Leo Miles & Katie Moore) are adorable, but the entire cast is faultless. A real gem no wonder they've given it a second crack at the whip. I've raved at length on my blog http://www.frontrowd...-sunday-13.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#8 Florence

Florence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Saw this last Saturday and it was magical. I was sitting a little way from the band and had no problems hearing voices.  Lots of seats were empty which was such a shame given what a wonderful musical this was. I do hope more people will go and see this.

#9 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

I wish I could have loved it as much as others here but it was ultimately just too silly for me and the songs weren't strong enough to compensate.  There were certainly wonderful moments - most of them involving the two young leads - and the piano gag was fun but there were so many dead spots.  I think it was the flying saucer that finally did me in.  Still, I'm glad I saw it and  glad to have visited the Riverside Studios at last - it's quite a place.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

Also tagged with Riverside Studios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users