20 replies to this topic

#11 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Mark Rylance will be playing the handbag. You read it here first.

#12 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostJon, on 18 January 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

I think it'll be a sellout just on Fry's name alone but I imagine they will secure the theatre once they have the dates available. Wonder if it'll be a commercial production or as part of the TRH Company as I think Trevor Nunn was to do another season once One Man finishes its run,

It is theatre royal haymarket opens mid October 2014
Nothing to do with Trevor nunn or rupees Gould

#13 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

I know we are into sex blind casting these days but not sure about this one. Are we to see Fry hoicking up his 'bra' a la Les Dawson or metamorphed a la Danny La Rue?

#14 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

View PostJamiem, on 19 January 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

It is theatre royal haymarket opens mid October 2014
Nothing to do with Trevor nunn or rupees Gould

Interesting, I do wonder what's going on with TRH Company, it is still going on or they back to being a receiving commercial theatre.

#15 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

View PostLynette, on 20 January 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

I know we are into sex blind casting these days but not sure about this one. Are we to see Fry hoicking up his 'bra' a la Les Dawson or metamorphed a la Danny La Rue?

We don't yet know what his interpretation is?
Lucky enough to see Geoffrey rush in Melbourne quite brilliant

#16 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Lady Bracknell isn't really a gendered character and has frequently been played by men, in different ways.

Dame Hilda Bracket played the part quite self-consciously as she clearly personally identified herself with Lady Bracknell, probably aspiring to her social status.

Bette Bourne played the part straight for ETT which emphasised her attitudes in isolation from her gender.

#17 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2079 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Have to say it is nice seeing male actors given a chance for a change - there are so few plays with good parts for older male actors. :rolleyes:
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#18 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

View PostLynette, on 20 January 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

The best Lady B that I have seen (amongst many) was Russell Dixon at the Library Theatre in Manchester a few years back. I was completely carried by the performance to the extent that I quickly forgot it was a man - the "gorgon" of the text personified. That said I worry here that too big a actor personality will be fighting the character for on-stage supremacy.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#19 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostIan, on 20 January 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

The best Lady B that I have seen (amongst many) was Russell Dixon at the Library Theatre in Manchester a few years back. I was completely carried by the performance to the extent that I quickly forgot it was a man - the "gorgon" of the text personified. That said I worry here that too big a actor personality will be fighting the character for on-stage supremacy.

Have to agree with this Russell Dixon was superb in the role!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#20 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostIan, on 20 January 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

You might be right but we forget lady Bracknell is a small part in reality, two scenes if I remember rightly?
And Frys face is very Edith Evans!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users