Maria Friedman to direct

#2 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Wow.  I've always thought that the show was much better than Trevor Nunn's misguided production allowed it to be.  For me one of ALW's best scores.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#3 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

agreed, if true its the perfect venue. wiw is a much more intimate show, the palace production was all wrong

#4 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Where did you hear this? Didn't see the show when it was in the west end so if true, will definitely go to this.

#5 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Oh I hope this is true!  Not a huge ALW fan but very interested in revivals of his past work.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#6 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Might be a summer production, doesn't seem that long since it was in the West End.

#7 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Hitting the venue after Proof, perhaps?

#8 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Goody- it's a stunning score, and hopefully that'll shine through in this revival. Also, like Merrily I suppose, Maria Friedman knows the piece very well.

#9 Max Von Mayerling

Max Von Mayerling

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

There was talk a while ago of ALW doing some rewrites with David Zippel for a smaller-cast tour.  You could easily do it with a cast of 8 or 9.  I always thought is was a mistake that the 'title song' never really appeared in full - though recorded in an odd (but enjoyable) James Bond-theme style.  Unusual for ALW to be so restrained with the use of the big theme - and on this occasion I think that subtle restraint was misplaced.  It's a great song and act one needs that centerepiece statement of the situation at hand, and the obsession that affects the three central characters. [There was talk of 'If Not For Me, For Her' in Act II being developed as a duet and more of a set-piece dramatic turning point - sounds like a plan]  I just hope they move away from the tremulous well-spoken-accented singing that these kinds of shows seem to invite as default performance style; Walter Hartright could easily be Northern sounding.  There are about 30 lyric lines that are horrible clunkers - either inelegant words, or they put THE stress on THE wrong word in  the sentTENCE.  I hope they take the opportunity to revise.  Do all that....and i'm looking forward to it!

#10 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1306 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

I'm shuddering at the thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users