33 replies to this topic

#31 Carlos

Carlos

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Well, regardless of the critics, I enjoyed them. I'm not sure how long the Menier's revival of Sondheim's A Little Night Music stayed in the West End, but it must have proved succesful enough to encourage a transfer to Broadway, where it did run for more than a year (http://www.ibdb.com/...n.php?id=485016). Still, I don't think Sondheim's works will ever enjoy the sort of longevity that musicals that appeal to a broader audience, which includes non-English-speaking tourists, do. But that's not a bad thing.

#32 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostEastender, on 22 January 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Can you name one Sondheim musical that has run for a year. Thought not.

Talking just the London productions, and also discounting Gypsy and West Side Story where Sondheim did the lyrics

Funny Thing Happened 1963-65 (792 performances)
Little Night Music 1974-5 (406 performances)
Side by Side by Sondheim 1976-9 (806 performances)
Follies 1987-9 (644 performances)

With the combined productions (including small scale off-west-end), Sweeney, one of the most revived shows in London over the past few decades, must have exceeded any of these.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#33 Eastender

Eastender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

But think how many have opened in the last 20 years , been critically acclaimed and closed. Come on now - even Sweeney Todd with Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton (and were they not brilliant) closed and I notice that ticket offers were flying around for the last month of it's run.
Filling the Menier for a month may be great; actually it is great for the Menier, but keeping a 1000 seater going for a long run is an entirely different kettle of fish.
Well we will see - I saw the Woman in White and was not overly impressed. But then I am a very ordinary bloke who likes to leave the theatre smiling and humming a good tune. And ALW wrote all his best songs many years ago. There are some belters but not too many recently.

#34 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Sweeney was always a limited run this time round, but yes it didnt sell as well as anticipated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users